1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Spider sex - a cautionary tale

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jomike, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    I was having a BBQ this afternoon and noticed movement in the flower bed. On closer inspection, I saw a small male Garden spider approaching a much larger female with obvious amorous intentions.

2876043902_54d15c6875_b.

He kept touching her and then backing off.

2876061272_05bd295159_b.

He obviously did not do the right things because she grabbed him.

2875251513_e3f1b29cb1_b.

She wrapped him in silk and carried him off, presumably to be consumed at leisure.

2875268519_715c0c1137_b.

Moral of the story is if you are a male spider and fancy some nooky with that lovely thing of your dreams, do it carefully or you will end up as lunch.

I have often heard of this behaviour but have never seen it, much less photographed it.

D50, Tamron 90mm macro, ISO200, 1/125 f16, diffused fill flash (onboard). Developed in Lightroom 1.4. All uncropped.

2. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Me neither - nice work!

3. Interesting series!

I was once watching the same but that time the male manage to mate. Interesting thing was how the male tried to get attention of the female. He sort of shaked the net, maybe getting the female to think there´s a prey and finally the female came out and the fun begun...

4. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Thanks Jukka.

That is exactly what happened here, he kept shaking the web and when she came out he tried touching her with his forelegs, but he obviously made the wrong kind of shake because she grabbed him and wrapped him up in a matter of seconds!

5. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Hey, they must be married.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

6. Crave

Crave Guest

Great serie!!
    Never had the luck to capture this.

Ps: Being a spider male sucks!!!!

7. CAClark

CAClark Guest

Great series! I caught a small jumping spider carrying the body of another, they really do risk it all!

Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.