Spider Under the Deck

Hello everybody:

I just got back from 2 weeks in the northwoods of Minnesota. I saw some interesting insects up there and some of the biggest dragonflies I have ever seen. Unfortunately, with a three-year-old, I found little time to devote to macro shooting. Here is one of the many shots I took of a spider I found under the deck. Taken with the 60mm Micro and SB800 in TTL -1.0EV. Wish I could have gotten more of his legs in focus but this spider didn't stay in one place too long.

Thanks for viewing.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EXIF:
File: DSC_4885.JPG
File size: 1,287KB
Camera Model: NIKON D70
Firmware: Ver.2.00
Date/Time: 2005:07:30 14:12:53
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 14.0
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: NORMAL
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Lens: 60.0 mm
Focal length: 60.0mm
Focal length: 90mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-S
Image size: 2240 x 1488
Rotation: none
Image quality: FINE
White balance: AUTO
Saturation: Low
Sharpness: NONE
Contrast: AUTO
Hue adjustment: -3

Nice shot, Lisa....but all I really can think is.....ICK!!! I'm just not a spider fan. Had a huge hairy specimen crawl over my flip-flopped foot in the garden this morning....ugh!

That really is a nice capture though. I like the diagonal lines of the background. Well done!

Lisa, great shot with fantastic clarity, but I have to agree with Leigh ~ ICK!!! I just hate spiders and would never dream of getting as close as you did here. Good job, nonetheless!! ;)

OK Lisa, the difference between your spider shot and mine is....the Tamron 180 has a working distance of 12-18 inches, but with the Nikkor 60 you had to be within less than 6. You've got more guts that I do. :lol:

Excellent capture. :wink:

Very nice shot. I think the DOF is fine. Have to agree with whoever else said that given the working distance the 60mm wouldn't be my lens of choice for a shot like this but hey, more power to ya. :)

Great image, Lisa. I really like the angle of the spider in the image and the DOF is very nice. Tack sharp image....

think you did well.. so what if 2 of the legs are not in focus..with auto focus you did a great job... have had to use manual focus to get any close to this...again great job..

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Boy, did I miss you guys! I would like to thank all of you individually but I don't know how to take advantage of the website options yet. Thank you all so much!

We were able to get our computer set up but only on dial-up and that was like the dark ages. I couldn't view or post to threads that had a lot of pictures in them because the dial-up service would cut me off. I have a lot of catching up to do.

The spider was there the entire time and I had to poke it out of it's hole. I have gotten pretty brave around bees and spiders since I've gotten into macro shooting and sometimes I surprise myself but one of these days, I fear I'm going to pay the price :lol:

Great Job Lisa,
Neat spider, glad he is yours :>)))))))

I would have given it a try to. Camera in hand ....NO FEAR !!!!!

Welcome back and home.

Hope you had a wonderful time and look foward to some pics.

Lisa,

I am so glad you posted this image. I think it is fantastic! Yes, you are very brave, spiders, ick ick! :shock: Then again, I grabbed a deck chair and planted myself over a yellow jacket nest. 8) We are both definitely living on the edge! 8) LOL :lol:

Glad you're back in town.

Thank you Gale and Crystall! And Crystall, your bravery with those yellow jackets has clearly outdone anything I've ever gotten remotely close to :lol:

Glad to be home, too!

G

Gordon Large

Hi Lisa -

This is a really nice capture! I'm curious - what was your shooting distance with the 60mm macro? You may have noticed in my butterfly post that I'm thinking about getting a macro, but I have no idea of the pluses and minuses of a short macro like yours vs. a 200mm and everything in between. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Gordon

Pa:

I don't know how to put quotes in messages, but you are right. I had good light as I used the SB800. I really wanted to get the whole spider in focus and I always cheat and look at the LCD monitor and shoot until I like what I see.

Thank you sbuttrick. Gave even my husband the willies, too!

Thanks Greg. I didn't know they had hair, either. My little guy calls them "pinchies".

Gordon:

I was about 4 inches from this spider. Believe me, you wouldn't want this lens for butterflies. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a macro that does butterflies. I have gotten some smaller butterflies, but it takes a lot of work and is very frustrating. I have been very lucky with bugs and it takes some stalking. I usually start snapping away at a comfortable distance from the insect and slowly get closer while shooting. Sometimes they stay where they are but more often than not, the subject takes off. I would seriously ask Martin what he would recommend. I wish I could give you more information, but I am in the exact same boat as you. If you find out which is lens is best, please let me know :)

Hi Lisa and Gordon L.,

I am no expert, but I have tried a few of Nikon's micro lenses and for stalking insects I prefer the 70-180 or 200mm micro. I had a chance to acquire the 70-180mm micro lens first, but I checked out the 200mm for a long time. I will probably wait until next year to acquire that one.

In the meantime, I find the effective working distance of the larger or longer (sorry terminology thing again) to be most advantageous. Either lens gives you the ability to stand at least 12 inches or more from your subject. The 70-180 is a zoom macro (unfortunately it was discontinued a while ago and BH was selling gray market copies). The 200mm micro is legendary, see other topics for examples. We have a few members who perform magic with that lens.

One nice feature about the micro lenses is that you can use the close up filters (5T and 6T) on all of them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom