Spider Web

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gale, May 29, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Guess this goes here. However I couldn't find the owner :>)))

Viera Wetlands yesterday. Early morning.

2. I like it!! Nice shot Gale!! :D :D :D

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi there Dawgy,

First ever Spider Web. I was suprised it was not easy to shoot. Kept blowing out against a foggy sky and brightness.

Thank You

4. Hi Gale,
    I remember seeing you take this. It looks neat. I spotted a web or two myself and took a shot just for you. I figured I'll just post it here for you. Looking forward to another action-packed day tomorrow! :wink:

[​IMG]

(ps I remembered you liked l-r)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks...

Looks good. I saw so many spider webs I could have spent lots of time photographing them.

Not sure why. Never had an interest in them. Guess it was just how they looked that morning.

Hoping there is some fog in the morning. Got a few foggy pics befor everyone came. Looks neat.

Always something new. I will porb get there about 6:30.

Can't wait.

Yes I love IR.

6. Very cool Gale, hoe you have a great week of shooting with the guys and gals from the cafe

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Mike,

We are sure going to miss you...Wish you and more were coming along.

Doesn't look like a huge crowd.

Very excited about shooting at the rookery in St Augustine,

8. Gale:

Nice shot. I like the angle you picked for the image. Thanks for sharing.

Gil

9. Hi Gale. Here I go again. Hope you do not mind, but you did say that you did not have much interest in them. Hopefully the following will recify this.

The web you have photographed is that of some species of Orb Web Spider, that has a zig-zag signature. Now spiders spin up to 6, YES 6, different types of silk. This web contains 3 types, and may be modified 3rd. as the signature is one of the silks that is combed out.
    The spokes that radiate out from the centre to the outside rim is the 1st. a Non Sticky type. The circular parts of the web are made up of the 2nd. a Sticky Receptor Silk.
    Now the 3rd. type is made up of the Sticky Silk. This you can see as small beads highlighted by the morning dew and is the one that captures the prey. The spiders lays down this third silk on top of the second silk, and as it attaches the second silk to the spoke it TWANGS the thread and the 'beads break out.

Ok so far:- Good.

Now along comes a fly and land SPLAT in the web. The spider picks up the vibration but it CANNOT just run up the web like climbing a ladder, otherwise it will get stuck in its own web. So it runs up the non-sticky spoke and goes across the sticky bit by either eating it and throwing out a nonsticky thread or by using a specially adapted hook.

Still with me:- Excellent.

The spider then immobilizes the fly, binds it in a 4th. silk that is very thin and strong. Lays its eggs that it wraps up in a 5th. silk and carries them around wrapped in a 6th. silk.

Well now you know. There will be a series of questions later on in the year.

By the way, the other web shown by Kevin is made by a different species of spider.

With my very best wishes.

Bob F. Spiderman

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's great Gale.

How far off the ground was the web?

Which lens did you use?

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob,

That is fantastic. What a great lesson for me. I loved it . Thank You very much.

Guess I was never to interested because I could never find any pretty ones. Or light that was so nice on them. I thought the ones we saw that morning were spectacular and could have spent a great deal of time photographing them.

However being with others on a mini shoot and showing them around and trying to find things they would like to shoot.

The lens I was using was the 80-400 VR very difficult to focus on the web. Should have set to closest object. That web was about 5 feet off the ground ...For ken.

Now I will look for more and you can tell me what spins it. So this the ORB... Very good. With you so far :>)))

Different silks. Quite interesting.

Thank You again and Thank you also for the PM :>)))

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You very much , Mike, Gil and Ken,

Will try and find some more one day.