1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Spider with racing stripes, and Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by TomP, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Went to a Federal Wildlife Refuge today where they were draining a lake for repair.
    I went to shoot birds, there were storks, hawks, herrings, vultures, geese and Ibis feeding on the stranded fish.
    The birds were out of range so ended up with these shots instead. It always seems to work like that, set up for one thing and end up doing something else.

I need an ID on this fellow, he was a real runner and is about 36 to 40 mm long,
    I like his racing stripes.

Spider shots are full frame// 60 mm 2.8 and 36 mm of tubes
    large.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Another attempt at dragons, got off with the wrong set up and did not have the reach for this pool of dragons

large.jpg

large.jpg

7 This not that great a shot, but I did like the position of the sticks, sort of a neat and clean shot.
    large.jpg

2. Completely agree Tom! Set up for one and find the other and not be completely ready for it. The spider shots are totally creepy, which means they must be good. I can't believe you use the 60 with tubes for those, you must have been so so close!!! Liked the dragon shots too, the blue on that first one, wow...

3. Hi Tom!

Impressive shots.

The spider is a trap door spider, genus Ummidia.

Cheers

4. That´s one mean looking spider!

Nice series, Tom!

5. Well I had all my gear with me, but had left everything and walked a good ways around the dam with the 70/200, when I found he dragons in this pool of yellow water, which was within a flood damaged concrete structure ( the reason the lake was drained). This was a place i needed the 400, but the round trip was more than I could handle. I was just glad I had crammed a tube in my pocket.:smile:

As for being close, I was prone on the ground, just glad no one was there to call 911 about some old guy having a heart attack :biggrin:
    Thanks for the ID Harry I have heard of trapdoor spiders, but had no idea they were this large.

Thanks. I don't think spiders get much respect:frown: The showy bright dragons seem to be easier to love :smile:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.