Spider with racing stripes, and Dragons

Went to a Federal Wildlife Refuge today where they were draining a lake for repair.
I went to shoot birds, there were storks, hawks, herrings, vultures, geese and Ibis feeding on the stranded fish.
The birds were out of range so ended up with these shots instead. It always seems to work like that, set up for one thing and end up doing something else.

I need an ID on this fellow, he was a real runner and is about 36 to 40 mm long,
I like his racing stripes.

Spider shots are full frame// 60 mm 2.8 and 36 mm of tubes
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another attempt at dragons, got off with the wrong set up and did not have the reach for this pool of dragons

7 This not that great a shot, but I did like the position of the sticks, sort of a neat and clean shot.

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
Completely agree Tom! Set up for one and find the other and not be completely ready for it. The spider shots are totally creepy, which means they must be good. I can't believe you use the 60 with tubes for those, you must have been so so close!!! Liked the dragon shots too, the blue on that first one, wow...

Completely agree Tom! Set up for one and find the other and not be completely ready for it. The spider shots are totally creepy, which means they must be good. I can't believe you use the 60 with tubes for those, you must have been so so close!!! Liked the dragon shots too, the blue on that first one, wow...
Well I had all my gear with me, but had left everything and walked a good ways around the dam with the 70/200, when I found he dragons in this pool of yellow water, which was within a flood damaged concrete structure ( the reason the lake was drained). This was a place i needed the 400, but the round trip was more than I could handle. I was just glad I had crammed a tube in my pocket.:smile:

As for being close, I was prone on the ground, just glad no one was there to call 911 about some old guy having a heart attack :biggrin:
Hi Tom!

Impressive shots.

The spider is a trap door spider, genus Ummidia.

Cheers
Thanks for the ID Harry I have heard of trapdoor spiders, but had no idea they were this large.

That´s one mean looking spider!

Nice series, Tom!
Thanks. I don't think spiders get much respect:frown: The showy bright dragons seem to be easier to love :smile:.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom