Spiders in greyscale

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Tim Z, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Here's a few spider shots that I kinda liked better in B&W. Please note the first two images have been rotated in photoshop for an artistic effect, and do not represent how these species would normally be viewed in nature.

D70s with Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro
    SB-800
    ISO200

Cheers
    Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  2. Nice ones. I agree, they look very good (maybe even more spooky) in B/W.

Cheers

3. I LOVE spiders in any colour. Black and White, full colour and especially with their fangs dripping with blood!!

However, and I am being very picky and horribly pedantic here; what I do not like is Araneus species being shown in horizontal mode when they NEVER EVER sit like this. Sorry Tim just having a rant.

I like how the details show up, especially the tactile hairs.

Best wishes Bob F.

4. I'm glad I saw these this morning rather than last night before I went to bed! :smile:

5. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    They are all very good, but I personally very much like the second one :smile:

Roosje

6. Excellent images with good detail.

7. Yes, I know that this species never sits like this, but if I was going for "field guide" type images I would not have rotated them and made them B&W in the first place. This was more for an artistic attempt/effect, and one which I liked a lot better. It just gave those images that extra pizazz, that was not there with them orientated normally. In colour and oriented upright, they were just more boring nothing special pictures to me. Let's just say that in photography and art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :smile:

Cheers

Tim

8. I actually think that some field guides in black and white can be more informative than those in colour. Some B&W drawings that I have in some of my antiquarian natural history books are spectacular.

As regards to misinformation versus art, then that is something we will have to agree to differ on.

BW Bob F.

9. Geez Bob, if you think I am somehow trying to cheat or misinform people here, then you have it all wrong. Absoutely everyone else I have ever shown these images to, have thought they were really cool. I am sorry I posted this now. I will remove the images and not try to trick anyone further. Guess, it is best if I just stick to posting realistic bird images then. . . . . . :eek:

Sorry to everyone else if you think I have been trying to misinform or cheat people with these images. Not so AT ALL!

t

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  10. There was absolutely no need to remove the images. What I said was MY opinion only. The word CHEAT was not mentioned and if you look at Harry S's post, who is a professional entomologist at a Natural History Museum in Vienna, then you will see that he was perfectly happy with the images. I just have a hang up about natural history images being shown incorrectly. My real pet hate is insects that are dead or chilled being shown as though they are alive and captive specimens passed off as being living wild and free. The removing of your excellent pictures is denying other members of seeing them.

So please put them back and ignore my dislikes.

Best wishes. Bob F.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,
    I'm glad the creepy crawlies are back! The second one is really nice. Your use of greyscale is impressive. As much as I dislike spiders, these are cool to look at. Thanks for making sure you got them back up so I can enjoy them...I'm sure others will too. And don't forget....just because someone else doesn't share your vision, it doesn't mean it's not a good vision to have. If we all saw things the same way, the world would be a rather boring place to live.

Cheers to you and keep posting!

12. It is not that I was concerned about someone not sharing my vision, but rather that I felt I was being labelled somewhat of a "con-artist" for portraying the species incorrectly. That is the last thing I expected to hear when posting these images. After all, this is a photography forum and not an entomologist forum. I just happen to like them better horizontal than vertical. I sure hope none of the Araneus species see these and come and get me in my sleep tonight. :eek:

t

13. Really interesting! I love the detail. It's very cool , as to the naked eye we would never see all this! LOL, at least I can't!

14. I really like these! Great job!

15. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Really interesting shots Tim.I like them alot !!

16. I really like all of them.
    Nice work!