split ND filter question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manzico, Oct 14, 2005.

1. So my 12-24 DX has arrived. Man do I love this thing and I've only had the opportunity to take pictures of my living room so far. Seeing as it is a 12-24mm lens, I can't really use a circular polarizer to handle the sky so I'm looking for options. Obviously a nice split ND system would be great. I would love to pick up one of those threaded brackets for the rectangular filters so I could adjust where the split appears in my image. Does anyone have a system that they prefer? I'd love to get one that (somehow) would let me keep the lens hood on, though I expect I won't be able to do that.

I had some other far out ideas on how I could make a polarizer work, but I have to think some more about those, they're not quite ready for prime time.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I use the Cokin P system with Singh-Ray ND grads. And I use a circular polarizer. You do get some uneven polarization at the wide end, but it's still fairly useable.

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Dave, I have the Nikkor 12-24DX and use a Nikon Circular Polar II filter with it. It's one of the newer thin Cpls and works well with this lens. Costs about $100 at B&H. Don't waste your money on a cheaper filter, you won't like the results.

4. i use both what Mike and John mention above and sometimes I use them together. I am pretty sure that is what John was indicating he did as well. That is a great lens and deserves fine filters when needed. Singh ray and cokin p holder works great and you have to forgo the hood, no way around it.
    Dave

5. question on the P system

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I needed. I looked up the different systems on Cokin's website, and I also checked the prices on B&H. Looks like the P series should do it, and for a fraction of the price of the Z-pro and X-pro series. I'm just curious, they warn of vignetting. Anyone get any with the P series @ 12mm? I'm a little curious though. It sounds like you like the Singh-Ray filters better than the Cokin ones. They have some kits on B&H where they bundle the filters with the holder. I haven't really checked, but I'm assuming I could save some money that way, but if you recommend the Singh-Rays over the Cokins I'll buy the filters seperately.

I'm also going to pick up a CP filter. I was going to wait until I got the 70-200 VR, but since you say it's useable, I'm going for it now.

thanks again,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Cokin filters are not remotely in the same league as Singh-Ray. The latter are expensive, but they are optically superb. Trust me, he throws away filters that are WAY better than Cokin because they fail his very stringent QC. His ND filters are also truely neutral.

If you are going to get a screw-in CP, you may want to get a 'thin' version. Less chance of vignetting.

7. I wasn't sure about the vignetting...

I was a little worried about the vignetting on the CP. I'm partial to the B+W filters and was a little worried that they didn't seem to have a slim 77mm CP. I think I'll go with the slim Nikon CP in this case. Thanks again for the info.

Dave

8. Dave
    I have taken a fine saw and cut the P holder down so that it will only hold one filter. The additional that is taken off is all that ever seemed to appear in my 12mm shots. This lens seems to be at it's peak at 17mm though.
    Dave