Spooky Staircase

Earlier this week, I visited the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio. This is an old maximum security prison and was the filming location for Shawshank Redemption.

I have many, many photographs to process. But, here's the first one of a staircase going up to the old Chapel:

2021-07-19 mansfield-127bw copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Terrific image.
The planning, vision, execution, post processing come together perfectly.
Asks many questions, what else can an image do?
Another winner, you make this look easy
Gary

This reminds me of a story about one of my mentors, Jay Maisel.
Jay was giving a talk, and as he was introduced they put a large cardboard box on the edge of the stage.
When Jay asked what that was for, they explained that by the end of his talk about 1/2 of the audience would want to leave immediately, as they had to go photograph something. The other 1/2 will want to put their cameras in the box.
When I look at Glenn’s work, sometimes I think I should just put my camera in the box and find something else to do...... but then I see something I want to shoot
Gary

Real Name
Carl
Earlier this week, I visited the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio. This is an old maximum security prison and was the filming location for Shawshank Redemption.

I have many, many photographs to process. But, here's the first one of a staircase going up to the old Chapel:

View attachment 1686773

Thanks for looking...
Glenn
What a grim-looking place! You captured it well!

Terrific image.
The planning, vision, execution, post processing come together perfectly.
Asks many questions, what else can an image do?
Another winner, you make this look easy
Gary
Thanks Gary…sometimes the light makes the image. I saw the door was lit and was fortunate to have a staircase positioned in front of it. I have a wide view of this scene that I will add to this thread later.

Glenn

This reminds me of a story about one of my mentors, Jay Maisel.
Jay was giving a talk, and as he was introduced they put a large cardboard box on the edge of the stage.
When Jay asked what that was for, they explained that by the end of his talk about 1/2 of the audience would want to leave immediately, as they had to go photograph something. The other 1/2 will want to put their cameras in the box.
When I look at Glenn’s work, sometimes I think I should just put my camera in the box and find something else to do...... but then I see something I want to shoot
Gary
Jay Maisel is one of my favorites! I watched a few of his instructional videos…and learned a lot.

I think we all feel that way at times. I often look at the work of others and think that I won’t ever be able to achieve such images. Then, like you, I get back to shooting. My hope is that I will continue to improve as photography is definitely a life long learning activity.

Glenn

Marvellous image, Glenn! Another vote for the effect of the well lit door at the top of the stairs.
Excellent symmetry and special beauty of decay.
Would make a perfect cover for a gothic novel.

Looking forward to more of your work on this place!

Marvellous image, Glenn! Another vote for the effect of the well lit door at the top of the stairs.
Excellent symmetry and special beauty of decay.
Would make a perfect cover for a gothic novel.

Looking forward to more of your work on this place!
Thanks Bart! I loved photographing the place.

Here's the wider view of this scene:

2021-07-19 mansfield-121bw.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glenn

What a great image.....As I scrolled through the posts, I agree with the comments then I saw the 2nd image....Wow! Even better, just inviting you to either go up the stairs, or run very fast away!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom