Spoonie & Snowy Flip

D

DW Brewer

The last two mornings I was aat Ft. DeSoto, Allan Rube and I essentially had the lagoon at North Beach to ourselves; shared with a few birds who were quite tame. If we remained essentially motionless out in the lagoon, they would come in so close that head shots were possible. Here is a Spoonbill and a Snowy Egret (with flip) who were almost too close to image. These are full-frame except for cropping to 11x14 format.
D300 + 500mm, handheld, manual exposure

-
109322292.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-
109322293.jpg

M

mattcham

Fantastic flip shot! Everything about it is just perfect!

D

DW Brewer

Pia:
As Allan will testify, it wasn't a case of the Spoonie letting us get close. When we tired of constantl;y moving trying to keep up with it, we stayed put and the birds came to us. I have a Great Egret flip image that is basically head and shoulders only; the bird was at minimum focusing distance. When we stayed put, the spoonie came within 25 feet of me.

Wow, wow, what high quality, colorful, well composed images!
Do you have available exposure details?
Looks like carefully planned DOF with mostly open aperture, I'm curious about ISO.

Pia, the lagoon is pretty empty right now. There is the reddish egret, tricolor heron, some greats and snowies, with ibis. Best birds (for me) are ruddy turnstones and, if lucky, a pair of oystercatchers.

D

DW Brewer

Sailor:
SS: 1/2500; f6.3, -1.7 compensation, ISO 200; pretty much straight conversion in LR2 (no exposure change, 23 clarity, 10 saturation, minimal sharpening). In CS2, I cropped for 11x14 image at 300 ppi, minimal noise reduction under filters, smart sharpen 2.4 (I sharpen for printing). I shoot manual exposure, making my settings such that auto ISO only kicks in when there is a significant lighting change (i.e., decrease). Hope this helps.

D

DW Brewer

Just located the pre-flip image...

109358449.jpg