Sport or therapy?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Rich Gibson, May 12, 2007.

1. One of my sons has belonged to a mock combat group here in the Washington DC area for over twenty years. It's called "Dagorhir" and about once a month in the warmer seasons they have large pseudo combat meles. The format can vary from ancient costumes to Roman to medieval...or goofy. They use foam protected weapons and include women in the battles. Unlike most sports there's no score kept; except a surplus of victories yields temporary bragging rights. Otherwise it's a great way to vent one's frustrations and leave the field "unstressed."

I used my new Sigma 120-300 without TC for most of the shots. Otherwise I used the 2.0 for cross-field combat shots. Man. I love this lens. 120-300 is perfect for this type activity as well as sports and birds. I think the only other lens which has given me so much instant satisfaction was the beast. The colors are so lush; and thanks to Flew for the secret to BIF technique which I adapted here! One other problem, I used the high speed crop at the beginning...not a good idea' therwise the last shot would have been even better.

Here are some of the players and some idea of the combat. It's pure chaos...likely the same as on olden battlefields.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the guy seemingly at peace in the middle of the chaos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow....this is something else. I'm thinking that this might be a great way for some to rid themselves of un-needed stress. Quite intense by what you captured. The guy with the peircings.....ouch!:redface:

3. These are really cool, Rich! You captured the essence very well! Sometime can I tag along? :smile:

4. Those shots are excellent!! And what a cool photographic opportunity, so much color and action, and what a variety of people! :biggrin:

You know, as I think about it, I think I saw a group doing this at Tech while I was there and I had NO clue what they were doing, but it was fun to watch. :smile:

5. Absolutely. It takes a lot of work (like shooting birds in flight) because there is so much going on you get overloaded. I've been doing this for about three years now, but this particular lens range, like in sports, is perfect. People move around so quickly (to and from you) that you need to move in and back out qickly. I really, really like this lens! Can you tell?

Rich

6. Especially if you have a lousy boss!

:tongue:

7. Gee, no, I would not have been able to tell that you like your new lens! LOL!!! That is really great you're finding so many good shooting situations for which it's perfect! I'll bet it'll be just right at the MD Renaissance Festival this summer, too!

Great, I will plan to tag along on one of these excursions, then! Guess my 70-200mm VR or 70-300mm VR would work, eh?

8. Either should do. I have the 1.4 and 1.7 TC for the 70-200 should you need it. I forgot about the renaissance festival...right!

Rich

9. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    they have archers too? :eek:
    that's hardcore

how do they know when someone is 'dead' ??

10. At first the "rookies" cheat a bit, but recognition as a "fair" player means a lot so for the sport of it they conform to honest acknowledgement of wounds. Occasioanlly a type A personality will rationalize himself to invinceability. Basically folks then shun him..it all sorts out. You lose an arm by immobilizing it, or a leg by gounding yourself and fighting from there. You may see that in a few of the images. It's exhausting but great fun. There rarely are serious injuries. I did notice one of the amazons with a knee brace. The team leaders inspect all weapons beforehand and persons for injuries or exhaustion during the melees. I've atended about a dozen or so and never saw any blood or more serius injury.

Rich

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

I would cast a Fireball and the game would be over.

Seriously though, that looks like fun. I'd like to see something like that around here, but all we get is a RenFest in the Fall. They RenFester's don't tend to hit each other very much...except the jousters.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots

13. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    This looks like a lot of fun. The Warrior Princess with the archery equipmnet...That's my kinds of woman.

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Intense is right! You really captured the essence here. Great photography!

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    That makes it easier to get good tables at crowded resturaunts.

16. deznpj

deznpj

Apr 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Foam covered or not, there are some big boys out there that are quite menacing!! Did you manage to get in a few licks yourself, or did you stick to the sidelines (as I would have)?

17. Kinda cool.. glad to hear your 100-300 is working out it is a very versatile lens

18. Ha! Ho, I never got much out of bashing people. Mark, my middle son, despite turning 40 this year loves it.

Rich

19. Thanks, Mike. Like all things in life you have to balance your needs with wants. I could never have afforded the 300/f2 and this gives me all the challenge that I can handle.

Rich