Sport Practice Shots, I guess you can say gymnastics is a sport...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by thrdprophet, Jul 8, 2007.

1. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    My friend wanted me to take some pictures of him doing flips around the park. Just wanted to practice using the camera and photoshop to get the effect of those magazine shots of snowboarders doing tricks. of course any C&C is welcome thanks for looking :smile:

Tun-3.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have absolutely no idea how to do what you have done in post, but this is so cool. You ask for some C&C, the only thing I can offer is that the background surely distracts from what you were trying to capture. I would enjoy seeing more of this type of work with a cleaner background. I am fascinated by your skills.

3. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    The background is disracting I agree. Wanted to see how my "theory" of how the shots looked like before we head out to some seneic places (yosemite, california coasts). This shot would not have been possible with a DSLR of less than 5 FPS. Gotta get my skills ready for the winter time, so I can get those magazine style shots of snowboarder doing tricks.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I sensed that this effort was a test, so I hope that I did not come across as being too critical. And as I mentioned, I am looking forward to seeing your next captures.

5. OK, lemme guess.
    Tripod, 5 fps. Combined all 7 shots in layers??
    +1 what Frank said. A wider fstop would've blurred out the background and really made the Subject POP !

C'mon, how'd you do that?

6. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Tripod a must, D200 set to burst mode 5 fps, the f-stop I think was like 3.2,(but I don't know why the depth of field looks greater) I had tried 2.8 but for pictures like these they get a "soft" look. Some magazine shots of simular style shots I think there using at least F4.

7 layers combined, although at 5 fps I got about 15 shots from this sequence... way too much threw out the ones I didn't need. I also tried the multi-exposure in the D200's menu (up to 10 shots for "one" shot) don't waste your time useless to say to least for these kind of shots.

yes the background is less to be desired =)

Next up, is stunts off waterfalls in yosemite and city bridges.