Sportraits :)

Discussion in 'People' started by Joe Marques, May 10, 2005.

1. Some sports-portraits with my new Canon 300 f4 (all shot wide open and ISO 1600 since it was late and shady). Much like the Nikon counterpart this is a superb piece of glass. Sweet bokeh and razor sharp.

BTW, I'm fairly please with the colors since these are jpegs right out of the camera.

Cutie on deck:
    [​IMG]

Intense coach - looks mean but he's actually a GREAT guy and treats the girl's really well.
    [​IMG]

Safe at first and looking at Dad. :)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.

2. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice. she looks proud.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe,

Pretty good shots, but not enough to convince me to convert to the big C. :lol:

Seriously, I'd like to see more. I do have to admit that these are pretty amazing for ISO 1600 though. 8) I take it that you are pretty happy so far?

4. Greg,

thanks for the comments. :)

Frank,

I'll get you to switch, I'll get the whole lot of you to switch. Mhu-ha-ha-ha-ha. :) :) :)

It's only my second outing with the glass - give me some time and I'll get the standard above "pretty good". ;) As for noise, I'm blown away by the ability to push the ISO when needed without any real damage to image quality (and the sharpness still comes through - contrary to popular mythology regarding "plastic" noise reduction in the camera).

5. Nice shots.

Personally, I bought a 20D right after I bought the D70. I got rid of the 20D after 5 months.

I'm just glad they are different. Would be sad if there wasn't a choice.

Would be interesting to hear what led you to switch. ISO?

6. The shots are wonderful, Joe! I'm glad the switch worked out for you. Now go away before I get Canon Lust :?.

Hehehe. Just kidding. I enjoyed seeing the shots, and always enjoy your company.

7. Nice shots Joe. The last shot is SUPER!!! :D :D :D :D

8. Thanks for sharing these great shots Joe.

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I think they're great for iso 1600 (or any iso for that matter). What type noise reduction software, if any, did you use?
    Jarrell

10. I will make that "why I switched post" as soon as I have time to do it justice - hopefully this weekend.

11. Thanks Frank. You are getting sleepy . . . you are open to my suggestion . . . come over to the dark side . . . :) :lol: :D

12. Thanks very much Bryan. :)

13. Thanks for always taking the time to comment Gordon. It's much appreciated.

14. Thanks Jarrell. These shots have no NR applied. The processing was minimal (WB, levels, mild sharpening) and the lack of noise is pretty
    amazing even at 100%.

Here's one from tonight that is at 1600 and the only tweak is a minor WB shift:
    50 1.4 @ 1.8:
    [​IMG]

15. Hi Joe,

They all look very good, including those of your son with the 50mm, here and in the other thread, but your daughter's smile in the first one here is just fantastic: "cutie on deck" is right! 8) Very well done, sir: and if it was mine, I would frame and hang that one, for sure! :lol:

16. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Wow, for wide open and ISO 1600 those are some seriously nice shots. Was there any reason you were using this ISO level (testing?)?

I should hassle my brother with his 300D, he'll worship these images and start stalking Canon stores to upgrade....:)

17. Thanks very much Philippe. :D

18. Thanks Joel. I was shooting 1600 because it was 7:30 pm and in the shade. I was on 1600 for the action shots and kept it at that for the quick portrait snaps. I could have moved down to ISO 400 but 1600 is so clean it wasn't a big concern (as opposed to my trusty old D2H whose only weakness was noise).

19. Great shots Joe - the bokeh is great - as are the expressions. I enjoy the extra saturated colors and the tight, cinema-esque, compositions.

Let this be a lesson to everyone... we all know Canon is second-rate and (well, in every way) completely inferior to our wonderous, magical Nikon stuff... But let this be an example of what a true master photographer can do... no matter the equipment. :D

(sarcasm included - some assembly required)

Awsome stuff Joe!

20. Thanks you for your VERY kind words Joe - much appreciated. :) BTW, it should be "sarcasm required" since I find sarcasm a essential ingredient to good humor. :D

Thanks,

Joe