1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sports Forum Challenge #28: "Let's NOT Face It"

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by wendy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    As we saw from last week's challenge, capturing the eyes is paramount, facial expressions seal the deal in quality sports action photography.

And sometimes, capturing an athlete from behind shows an equally-tender side of a sport/game.

This week's challenge is "Let's NOT Face It". Start posting your very best sports action shot(s) in which you shoot your subject(s) from behind, no faces, and by doing so you tell another side of the story.

As always, here’s how the Sports Forum Challenge works….

Each week we will have a theme to which everyone who chooses to participate must submit a photo(s). If someone opts to post more than one image, the first image is your official entry.

Each winner will have the opportunity then to select the new challenge and pick the winner for their challenge.

You have till Sunday to enter your photo at which point (Sunday night of each week) we can pick a winner.

Here are a couple examples of what I am looking for...

1. Riding off into the sunset.
    DSC_0161_001.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Watching your team mate escape a tackle and sprint into the end zone.
    DSC_0156_000.jpg

3. Celebrating the winning goal.
    DSC_0065_035_000-1.jpg

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    lol, automatic "DEL" on my Nikon these shots, good challenge !!

3. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Keep your eye on the ball.

[​IMG]

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    [​IMG]

When a player makes it to first or third base, I try to get the shot when the coach comes over to congratulate them. I focus lock on the player, and move the camera over to get the contact. This time, I moved it over more than normal. I liked this shot a soon as I saw it on my monitor. And, it sold. :smile:

5. [​IMG]

Sorry about the watermark.

And, just because I'm torn, and can't choose, I just wanted to add this in -- though I think the first one is better for this title.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  6. Driving one to center.

2674290244_010863ca05_b.png

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Under the watchful eye....

....of Chicago Bears offensive coach Ron Turner, wide receiver Justin Gage hauls in a pass from quarterback Rex Grossman in last year's training camp.

47535903.gif

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    No faces...

The celebration after the winning goal in the Midwest Lacrosse High School Championships:

335598151_p4Jds-XL.jpg

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The flush after the fast break...and the defender hoping he won't be on the poster.

[​IMG]

10. SnortingBull

SnortingBull

Dec 10, 2007
    Durham, NC
    145195719_rnWFA-M.jpg

11. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    "Two Outs!"

[​IMG]

12. Some great captures so far.

Here's my entry from the FSU v Maryland game:

FSU's Bobby Bowden
    [​IMG]

13. This shooting position was much safer than the alternative.

[​IMG]

14. Hey Wendy,

This is a very nice twist, or a "major league curveball" that you've thrown to us! But hey, I can play since I have one that fits. :smile:

This one is just "sa-weet" to quote someone who hangs out here! :wink: So I'm using it.

292987218_otM4w-L-1.jpg

The Tigers actually got JD Drew out once or twice, this broken bat swing was one of them.

292438814_gwHLp-L-1.jpg

Here's one from last year that works too, so yet another reason to NEVER delete your images, you just never know when they can be used.

Contact! and YES, I really like Placido "Polly" Polanco. I think this also counts as bat on ball too, and check out the little "sliver" on the top of the bat above the ball. That's not an artifact.

[​IMG]

15. A "Major" League Moment....

The players work hard, the coaches work hard, and often the person who is at the field before everybody arrives is the team manager. He/she keeps the schedule, organizes the uniforms, handles the paper work, and usually takes the tarp off the field before practice....

This past weekend our team had the privilege of playing at Dunn Tire Park in Buffalo, NY (a Minor League Baseball park, but "Major" League for us). It was a thrill for the boys to play in such a park. And for the manager, well he had his 'major league' moment as well.....

100535424.jpg

Enjoy

16. Here is my contribution.

_D2H2065.jpg

_D2H2239.jpg

_D2H2600.jpg

17. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    YAY! Great pics! Thanks for participating. Keep 'em coming!

18. I like Polanco, too. In fact I was quite PO'd when the Phillies traded him to you guys for Urbina.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.