1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sports lens-limited budget

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bikersam717, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
    Right now I have a D40x with the kit 18-55 lens.
    I shoot 90% Motocross photography, 5% skateboard and bmx and another 5% on random stuff like macro and night shots, family stuff, etc.
    Being a teenager, on a limited budget, I'm looking in the $400-$700 price range. Right now, I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSO in mind, but they call it a macro lens. Would this lens still be good for shooting sports? Any suggestions on any other lens that would suit my needs, within my price range?

2. IMHO, Motorcross and skateboard photography calls for two completely different lenses, with skateboarding typically favoring a very wide angle or fisheye lens. Since you're using a D40, AIs or AF-D lenses are out of the question unless you want manual focus. The Sigma you're looking at is a pretty good option if you can't swing a used Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    When they say Macro they don't mean a serious Macro like my Sigma 105mm, they are just making sure you can tell the difference between the modern version and the older one which didn't focus so close.

It will be a good budget lens for sports, the closer macro focusing will just be helpful if you decide to photograph something else for a change.

4. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    maybe also an 80-200 AF-S Nikon if you can find one. I used ona D40 and it was very good. Sigma 70-200 or 50-150 worth looking at also

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Maybe the 70-300 VR? Might focus faster than the Sigma 70-200. I am not sure, though, as I've never owned either. Just hear the focus is slow on the Sigma. I could be talking out of my arse. :tongue:

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Having used both the Sigma and the Nikkor I'd say the Nikkor is better, the build is higher quality and the focus is faster. However the Nikkor is very big and heavy.

The Sigma I used to have certainly focused very fast, even on my little D50. However the Nikkor AFS is faster.
    Not used the Nikkor 70-300vr so I don't know about that one.

7. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know how close you want to get to Motocross riders but I think for now your 18-55 should be fine for skate and BMX if you are shooting mostly in good light. I shoot skate with a 12-24 and rarely ever use it on the 12mm end, most of the time I'm around 20-24mm. You might be able to find a used 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S with the high end of your budget and that should handle Motocross nicely and it does nicely with skate as well. Below are a few shots, the first two taken with the 12-24 at 20mm and the last one with the 80-200 AF-D at 105mm.

2815078867_3d49bdd379_b.

2818755683_e2421059b3_b.

View attachment 253226

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Allthough the 80-200 AF-D is fine glass (I've considered one myself) the OP shoots D40x and that body lacks the 'screwdriver' coupling to focus that lens automatically.

9. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks...I had allready edited my post after reading thru it and realized I had made a typo.

10. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been shooting video, film and now digital of BMX, skateboarding and the like for about 8 years now... The best purchase I ever made was the 10.5mm fisheye. It's a fairly hefty investment at a little over $500 used, but it's worth every penny. My Skate/BMX kit consists of a D2H, 10.5mm fisheye, and 70-210 AF-D (super lightweight, perfect in daylight, sharp, and most importantly... CHEAP!). I find myself using the wider end of the 70-210, so I'll most likely start carrying my new 28-105 AF-D instead. Also super sharp and cheap.

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 is going to be near perfect for motocross in my opinion. You may want to consider buying the matching Sigma-branded 1.4x teleconverter for it especially if you can't get close.

11. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I hear pretty good things about the Sigma, but I'd still try to find a decent 80-200AF-S. That's what I've been using since it came out, and it's one of the best lenses I've ever owned. It IS a little on the heavy side, but aside from the lack of the newest VR tech, it's an absolute KILLER! Stick it on a monopod, and you'll be thrilled with the results.

12. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
    I would consider a fisheye if I was able to get closer up. Most of the tracks wont let me past the fences on race days since I'm under 18, they want my parents to sign a waiver, but they're never there. That's exactly why I'm looking to get some zoom.

1-15.
    3-11.
    These are all cropped closer, I would like to get closer, but not lose detail. If I crop any closer on those the quality goes down the drain.
    There are very few shots I take that I dont have to crop way in on, such as this one.

So it sounds like the 80-200f/2.8 af-s is a better but heavier lens than the Sigma 70-200. I will keep my eyes out for a good deal on either. I still need to save some more though, only about half way...

Edit: You guys talk about finding used lenses. Where do you buy used lenses, Ebay?

13. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    keh.com is a good source

14. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
  15. Here is another vote for a used 80-200 f/2.8 AFS so that you can use it on a D40. I just picked a super minty copy here for $775 shipped which is a steal IMHO and it has been great to use. It focuses super fast and can keep up with fast moving objects.

16. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
  17. bikersam717

bikersam717

Aug 2, 2008
    Sonora, Ca
    Bump: On National Graphic Supply they have a 80-200 2.8 Af-s but there seems to be a problem with the zoom ring rubber. I don't necessarily know what that refers to. Is it hard/expensive to fix or get replaced?

18. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I had that done on mine and it wasn't a big deal, I just can't remember the $. But - ring your local Nikon service guys and ask them, it's a common thing I think, but, would be surprised if more than $100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.