Sports Portraits

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Oldtime, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I had the pleasure of shooting Sports Portraits this weekend At Sports Shooters Boot camp
    I had never attempted a formal portrait in my life,Can you say NERVOUS!!!!
    Well under the instruction and direction of the Staff who included
    *MATT BROWN
    *MYUNG CHUN
    *MICHAEL GOULDING
    *DAVID HONL
    *LUCAS GILMAN
    *JORDAN MURPH
    *CRYSTAL CHATHAM
    *SUSANICA TAM
    *RONAL TANIWAKI
    *ROBERT HANASHIRO
    We set out to shoot through four stations , 4 groups 8 members in each and 1 hour and 20 minutes for everyone to get shoots at each station- we shot a wrestler ,gymnast, basketball player, and a baseball player
    Here are some of my results
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. glewis1

glewis1

Aug 24, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    pretty good. First shot of the ball player is my fav

3. You did good on the male athletes, but not so much on the gymnast. You didn't get any attitude out of her. Too bad, cause she was much prettier than the other jocks. :wink:

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    No one in our group could draw this girl out and we were required to shoot her at this angle. there were other issues I will not go in which limited the angles you could shoot here at -so sometimes it's not there
    Thanks for looking

5. Are the subjects real athletes or models? The poses are a little stiff and cliche but I get you that you had to work under some guidelines so everybody gets a chance. I'd be really interested in how the whole weekend went, was it worth the time, $ and effort?

6. neat way to expand yourself Mark...I would love to go to a workshop like that...

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Not models but Cal State Fullerton athletes.At each station the leaders,would discuss the light set up we would be using take some test shots show us results this cut in to anywhere from 10-20 minutes of the allotted time
    For wrestling for example we used nothing but speed lights 3-4 pocket wizard controlled=Dave Honl lead this group and probably the one I learn the most from -By the time you got the lights set up test shots taken there was probably 4 =5 minutes of shooting time if that for each of us in the group

All the teachers said you usually have 5minutes to get the shot= so most of the time is in light set up,2-3hours before the shoot show up scout locations, find good BG's and set your lights up is the typical drill
    Had it been my shot I would have chosen different venues or back grounds - we were limited by physical space as well as time
    was it worth it yes
    Friday started at 9:30am and ended 1:20 am saturday morning 3 soccer games editing critique, final processing , slide show presentation of everyones 5 best shots from the day
    Same drill on saturday all day shoot- edit critique, done after midnight
    Nikon had a boat load of loaner gear there
    Staff was accessible and easy to work with- and helped gain a working knowledge of what real daily photographers deal with on a daily basis
    If you get a chance do it

a few fun shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Kudos to you Mark, I applaude you for attending the bootcamp to improve yourself.

9. Mark, it does show that this was your fist time on a formal portrait, although I am sure it was for the Cal athletes as well.

Good job, anyways glad to hear an experience on the SS Bootcamp. I would love to go but flying cross country as well as boarding and such, I just can't swing it. Maybe in the near future, but we will see.

Anyways I would love to be able to learn from just 1 or 2 of those SS top shooters.

Too bad they don't have the time or resources to do an east coast boot camp.

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

The first one takes the cake mark .... awesome stuff buddy !!

11. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Thanks

Thanks Chris Long long days but worth it

Thanks Frank-- That's my goal everytime out

Thanks for looking

Thanks Topher How's the Maryland search going!!!!

12. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Flying out there early tommrow morning to scout the area and see how i like it..... I'll bring along the p&s for good measure hehehe

13. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Good luck Pretty area =crowded but lots of sports opps

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    In a word...Excellent!
    Personally, I prefer the first three! And out of that, #2! They are all good, but that's just my favorite. I like the contemplative expressions on the first three.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.