Sports shooters going to Nikon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by natethomas, Aug 11, 2008.

1. I was at a Mets game this past week while in New York. I counted 11 PJ's, 8 of whom were shooting with Nikon. I've also noticed a shift in the games I've attended at Fenway, with many more Nikon shooters than there once were. Is the D3 really catching on?

2. I was a bike races in Virginia and it was now even up Canon/Nikon amongst the shooters. Previously virtually all white lenses

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That's one thing that surprises me. Given that those guys & gals have thousands of dollars invested in lenses - did they still have Nikon glass from the past, or is the D3 with its high ISO performance giving them so much more than the 1D that they happily switch over?

4. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    I was at the cubs game last night and saw 4 photographers with 2 using D3 and D2x and the other 2 using canon. Also i saw a man with 2 Mark3 1ds body with a 70-200mm and a fisheye with 580ex2 flash. what a shame.

5. The paper that covers the college football team that I shoot switched to Canon last year. They bought all new stuff but they still kept the Nikon gear (which was at least a couple of 400 2.8 lenses on the more expensive end). The guy who covers most of the road games told me that he was very happy with Canon and that Nikon didn't have anything that would touch his new stuff...that was the end of last season and I am looking forward to seeing him again in a couple of weeks and getting his thoughts.

6. quite a few, the SportsShooters guys, and Rod Mar (Seattle Times) have switched, along w/ a lot of other pros that I've seen. Also, some pix from the Olympics shows a lot of black bodies & lenses...and I remember a great pic from the Tour de France of a bunch of photos out in a sunflower field, Nikons outnumbered Canons.

However, IMHO that shooters of this caliber will use the best at the time, and if Canon fixes the AFS probs on their Mark III, and/or comes out w/ a D3 'killer', then some may switch back...but it's worth noting that many of these high end pros didn't switch until the D3, Nikon just didn't have a big competitive advantage...

7. :112: They don't know the power of the Dark Side!

8. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I've noticed this also while watching the Olympics. May very well be a trend!

9. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I thought i noticed a big Nikon sponsor sign in the outfield the last Mets game I went to. I could be wrong.

10. they have quite a few of the MLB parks, Fenway as well.

11. timzilla

timzilla Guest

Same here....whenever they pan the crowd I've been trying to see what the pros were shooting with and it didnt seem like there were as many white lenses as I thought there would be.

12. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Just the normal ebb and flow of things.

13. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yup, definitely more photogs go back to Nikon, you can clear tell more blacks in the used to be dominant sea of whites.

PH2008081001573.jpg

GD8331966@Photographers-work-du-2469.jpg

14. Last night watching the Olympics I noticed a lot of Nikon gear.

15. What are they shooting?
    The back of each others heads?
    really looks that way....
    (I know they aren not)

16. What a bunch of geeky photo vests. I'm glad I don't have to wear those while working!

17. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    wonder why you'd bother? unique shot ? not.

18. It's probably cheaper to send a photographer than it would be to pay royalties for another newspaper's image.

19. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    They were probably free from either the Olympics, camera companies, media suppliers, etc. Sports shooters, as a rule, NEVER turn down freebies, no matter what they may be. And if you'll notice, they're packed in rather tight, no room for bags, so a photo vest to handle accessories would come in handy.
    I myself don't have, use or want a vest. But last year the NFL mandated that we wear vests while on the sidelines. Caused quite a stir because they had CANON on them. While I have always been a Nikon shooter, I mildly objected to being a billboard for free. The reply was then you're not on the sidelines. The REALLY bad things about them though are they are one size fits everyone-as long as everyone 5'-8" and 125lbs(I'm not). They also are pumpkin orange(the TV guys vests are black). They're numbered(it's for security) and at least they'd wash them so they were clean for each game. But they fade abit. And for the the first preseason game last friday, they handed out these faded vests from last year. And they are not even photo vests!

20. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

AP has a royalty free system - you submit your photos to the 'group collective' and anyone can use them in their newspaper for free. Obviously you have to be a paid up member of AP !!!!! Companies like Reuters charge per image but it'd still be cheaper than flying a photographer to China, hotel for 2-3 weeks,food,insurance etc.

As for shooting the same thing. If it's something like running or swimming, that'll be 10-20 different nationalities. If your country isn't in a heat, you get to watch normally. Else it's everything through the lens, just in case they get a medal.

But yes, I'd hate to do that for a living.