Sports shooting: RAW or JPEG?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I've shot a couple of games in RAW (soccer and fastpitch)..and I certainly see the flexibility. But for FB games and a couple of other, I need to process more quickly to meet local paper's deadline. So I just shoot JPG.
    With today's big files, I don't see a lot of loss in quality.

What do you good shooters prefer, RAW or JPG? And if RAW, do you find it faster to process? Once you have your pre-sets and settings down pat?

2. I have been shooting RAW for CYA purposes, but am switching to JPG on overcast days and as my confidence grows.

3. I rarely shoot RAW for sports, I'm taking too many shots (700 or so per game) and it takes way too long to process. The only exception might be if I'm taking a special shot, i.e. captains, etc.

4. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Not sure I'm in the good shooters category your asking, but, I'm with Chris, jpeg, unless it's a can't miss photo... I do shoot RAW sometimes with flash at nite football, but am switching to jpeg

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I like the Raw for all my work but honestly when your fairly confident with your shots and feel comfortable about your light / settings then it's perfectly alright to shoot jpgs.... when we did indoor sports (with lights) I always shot JPG ... I guess the bottom line is that when you know you dont need that flexibility then it's not a big deal to shoot jpg but when you have constantly changing light or aren't sure what you need setting wise, Raw is always a good choice

6. I shoot JPEG for most sports but for football I do it Sports Illustrated style- Raws for archiving and editing, small jpegs for quick sorting after the game. It is a lot of extra work if I go the raw route, so I don't do it often. Today's JPEGs can be pushed pretty hard if you need to.

7. For me RAW is not an option the companies I work for demand high volume shots so the proccessing woudl be too much and add to much cost to the proccessing.

Only thing we shoot RAW for is unflashed night football or any unflashed indoor events, but we always shoot indoors with strobes, so it is jpg 99 percent of the time.
    If you get your exposure right and know your camera well jpg can delvier outstandign results right on the same level as RAW shots.
    For my perosnal use uch as wildlife/birding I shoot all RAW.

8. Well I trust my judgement and cameras, so about 95% jpeg, 100% for sports unless it is a really awkward lit field/gym.

9. I shoot RAW all the time. Just like the added flexibility while editing, especially when I'm shooting in poorly lit arenas. I prefer the large file size vs the jpg files. I find that when using RAW, my end product jpgs are are larger size & will allow for "better" quality prints when blown up - particularly with photos that have been heavily cropped.

Then again, if I ever get to be as good as Mike, I'll shoot only jpg :biggrin:

Later,
    Brent

10. I haven't shot JPG in I don't know how long.

RAW 100% of the time, no matter what.

Why? Because I like it.

11. JPEG for me. . .due to the time to down/upload pics . . dont normally do much PP to any of the pics that I submit to papers etc etc. .

12. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I shoot jpg about 95% of the time now. Only time I don't is when I am doing portait or around the house stuff.

In shooting sports I am either shooting in good light (morning afternoon) or using flash/strobes for whatever sport i am shooting for.

Also I don't mind jpeg now because I always open them up as raw files in cs3 anyways so I can adjust wb if need be.

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Which is precisely the reason I'm trying to learn to shoot RAW. :biggrin:

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    That's a good enough reason.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.