SportsShooter sings the praises of the 200-400

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jamesd3rd, Aug 26, 2008.

1. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Nhat V. Meyer's blog on SportsShooter discusses his Olympic experience and plugs the 200-400. http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2046

'For all you gear-heads this is what I brought with me. And I will not be the first to proclaim this, but the Nikon 200-400 f4 is the perfect lens for covering the Olympics. That lens was awesome! Most of the time when we are covering events we can move around. The files are so nice that ISO is irrelevant, I often shot at 2500 an the files looked sweet and tack sharp with that 200-400. Love that lens! During the Olympics most of the time you pick a spot and that's where you sat for the duration. The 200-400 f4 gave me latitude to get images I would have been unable to get with a fixed 400 or a fixed 300.'

Pretty good endorsement for those who have the cheddar for it.

2. hmmm, I would prefer an f2.8. Taking pictures at night makes getting enough light a challenge even with an ISO of 3200+. Of course I am dealing with the choice of an 80-200 2.8 and an 80-400 4.5. I only break out the 80-400 when I am taking shots in sunshine.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The 200-400mm f/4 lens is a very able tool if the lighting is sufficient and the zoom capabilities are very nice for certain types of sports action. Once the sun goes down or if the action is indoors, that lens would not be a sports action shooters tool of choice.

4. I agree I have had one since November 2005... Use it quite a bit...

5. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    His weapon of choice

Evidently he chose to use it most of the time. Because most of the times the photographers were limited to shoot from one position, this lens gave him the flexibility he needed. He never stated where he used it but I'm sure the lighting in an Olympic venue is some of the best around so it may not have been as huge an issue. Even for events like badminton. Anyway, with all the stuff he took, he used that with his D3 over the Canon.

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like mine better with the D3 than I do with the D2h or D2X . The extra ISO makes this a much more versatile lens than before.

7. I would imagine the D3 and its high ISO capabilities really helped...check out Rod Mar's blog from the Olympics, he shot this combo quite a bit.

8. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Worth repeating. :biggrin:

9. Just to chime in with comments from other 'togs who've been using it. I spoke in the photo wells at Comerica Park in Detroit with one of the SI guys and the LA Dodgers main guy and both said they LOVE the combination of D3 and 200-400, low light, lots of light, it just doesn't matter. The Dodgers guy said it's almost like cheating using that combination. You might lose one stop of light going from f2.8 to f4, but you get back 4-5 stops in high ISO performance along with a faster engine to drive the focusing of that lens. Plus it's lighter than the 400 f2.8. I tried it and they're right, it's lighter and works so well I was drooling over that combo.

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i have to have 2.8, good light or not, for backgrounds

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You and me both, just a little bit of use right buddy? :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.