Spouse wants computer.

I suppose some sort of connection to the outside world is necessary.
I have a Mac Pro 1.1. Replete with Airport.. Internet access is via cable per comcast.

Spouse will have a new Apple Laptop. Two questions:

1. Where can I get the best deal on a new 17" laptop?

2. What will I have to do to connect her computer to the internet? Stuff to buy? This is all new to me, so keep it simple please.

Many thanks in advance.

I suppose some sort of connection to the outside world is necessary.
I have a Mac Pro 1.1. Replete with Airport.. Internet access is via cable per comcast.

Spouse will have a new Apple Laptop. Two questions:

1. Where can I get the best deal on a new 17" laptop?

2. What will I have to do to connect her computer to the internet? Stuff to buy? This is all new to me, so keep it simple please.

Many thanks in advance.
#2. If she is going to be in a different part of the house, get you a router hooked up out of your modem and the Mac should take care of the rest for recognizing it, which I guess you will be getting her one with a wireless Airport. If she will not be using wireless, you'll still need a router, hook her Mac up to it with a cable, and the Mac will take care of the rest. You will then have to hook yours into the router, or, let your Mac use its wireless Airport.

Hope this helps.

Edit: ScottR beat me to it.

Try eBay, you can get a sweet deal there.
From some years to now all Mac laptops have all the necessary inside to connect to internet as said by GeoKost.

Another vote here for the refurbs. Both my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro were refurbs and it's just like buying brand new, not even a fingerprint on them. In case of the Mac Pro there were also undocumented goodies provided (16Gb RAM, upgraded GPU and RAID card), all for cheaper than the base model brand new.

Thanks all for your help... I thought while I was at this wireless biz, I'd solve the remote storage problem.. Time Capsule also on it's way to Crestfallen Manor. It should be fun getting all this up and running.

Absolutely buy her a nice one with the same platform as your PC, Microsoft windows or Mac. Unless you have NX2, which is cross plarform.

Then you can have a nice travel photo computer.

Thanks to all for comments, etc.
The new 'puter is great... Snow Leopard upgrade on my Mac Pro works fine.

After using the Macbook Pro, with it's nicer graphics card, I've got a new card coming for my Mac Pro.

Wireless, is the nuts! Including the printer. :)

Thanks again, people.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom