"Spreading the Word" About Smugmug Site?

I've just set up my website on a Pro Account with Smugmug, and I need some advice on how to go about spreading the word about it.

So far, I've announced via e-mail to all of my contacts (asking them to spread the word), and I've printed business cards which I give out when someone approaches me while I'm out shooting. A friend of mine is also looking into the possibility of displaying a few of my images at a restaurant near his vacation home.

I've looked thru Smugmug's "sharing" options and, frankly, they confuse me. (I may just be slow...). So far, the only thing that I've done was join one Smugmug community and activated a few of my galleries for that community. I don't really "get" social networking in general, so I haven't looked into that thru Smugmug. And I'm also not sure whether activating the Easy Sharing feature in Smugmug puts my images at higher risk of theft. (Perhaps someone can clarify that for me?)

So, for you Smugmug users out there, what steps did you take to make your website known to the outside world when you were just starting out?

Thanks!

Dgrin is where ya ought to ask this

YOU need to visit DGRIN..... the smugggers forum......

I do not use the share options nor do I allow down loads and I am not currently allow Sm to fulfill my orders.....I have a great pro processor less than a mile away with fantastic turn around time so since I have used them for over 20yrs with film I just decided to keep the work here............

I listed with all of the search engines i could find.....made a list and i relist every 6 months or so........you can pay someone else to do this...but i am cheap..........so I do it myself....but not for anyone else..........................

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bob swanson

How much does dmoz cost?
Just submit your site to www.dmoz.org under the proper category. All major search engines use this directory as a source to index.

Submitting your links directly to search engines is not proper search engine optimization technique.

H

Ham1

I've just set up my website on a Pro Account with Smugmug, and I need some advice on how to go about spreading the word about it.

So, for you Smugmug users out there, what steps did you take to make your website known to the outside world when you were just starting out?

Thanks!
We are going to be releasing a lot more SEO (Search Engine Optimization) helps on our site but for now, here are some.

* Check your Site-wide SmugIslands settings in the Settings tab of your Control Panel. Make sure both "Hello World" and "Hello Smuggers" are set to "Yes."

* Choose your descriptive names (Category/Subcategory names, filenames, and gallery names) wisely. Be sure to make your filenames friendly before adding your photos to SmugMug. Salt-Lake-Sunset.jpg is more readily found than IM2333.jpg

* Use words like "Fine Art Photos of Utah's Parks" as your gallery title, which will result in a very tasty URL like this: http://yournickname.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Fine-Art-Photos-of-Utahs-Parks

* Tip for Power and Pro users: Even if you don't customize your site you should add a descriptive page title in the Easy Customizer's Browser section or in the Page Title area of your Advanced Customization. This changes the text at the top of your viewers' browser window and is visible to Google, too.

* Keywords, keywords, keywords. Add keywords to the photos on your site. All of them.

* Don't forget to add gallery descriptions and photo captions.

* Use social media like Twitter and Facebook and post links to your galleries.

* Start a blog and post to it frequently. Words, your photos, everything. See a great example here! Like to chatter? Contribute to online forums and make sure to link your site and images when you post.

* Register your SmugMug homepage with search engines. Help for Google: http://www.google.com/addurl/

Help for Yahoo: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Search engines pick up the information in your homepage Bio box. Use this space to enter descriptive text about yourself, your business, and what you do. You can try using more advanced tricks if you're feeling adventurous, so be sure to discuss this and other SEO topics on our forums at Digital Grin.

We advise against putting extra keywords in your head tag or anywhere else on your site. It could get you blacklisted. Instead please use SmugMug photo keywords, captioning, and other tips listed above.

Your images will be found through Google Image Search if you link them with meta info in blogs, forum posts, and other websites.

Thanks. It is a little long but hope that helps!

Markham

We are going to be releasing a lot more SEO (Search Engine Optimization) helps on our site but for now, here are some.

* Check your Site-wide SmugIslands settings in the Settings tab of your Control Panel. Make sure both "Hello World" and "Hello Smuggers" are set to "Yes."

* Choose your descriptive names (Category/Subcategory names, filenames, and gallery names) wisely. Be sure to make your filenames friendly before adding your photos to SmugMug. Salt-Lake-Sunset.jpg is more readily found than IM2333.jpg

* Use words like "Fine Art Photos of Utah's Parks" as your gallery title, which will result in a very tasty URL like this: http://yournickname.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Fine-Art-Photos-of-Utahs-Parks

* Tip for Power and Pro users: Even if you don't customize your site you should add a descriptive page title in the Easy Customizer's Browser section or in the Page Title area of your Advanced Customization. This changes the text at the top of your viewers' browser window and is visible to Google, too.

* Keywords, keywords, keywords. Add keywords to the photos on your site. All of them.

* Don't forget to add gallery descriptions and photo captions.

* Use social media like Twitter and Facebook and post links to your galleries.

* Start a blog and post to it frequently. Words, your photos, everything. See a great example here! Like to chatter? Contribute to online forums and make sure to link your site and images when you post.

* Register your SmugMug homepage with search engines. Help for Google: http://www.google.com/addurl/

Help for Yahoo: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html

Search engines pick up the information in your homepage Bio box. Use this space to enter descriptive text about yourself, your business, and what you do. You can try using more advanced tricks if you're feeling adventurous, so be sure to discuss this and other SEO topics on our forums at Digital Grin.

We advise against putting extra keywords in your head tag or anywhere else on your site. It could get you blacklisted. Instead please use SmugMug photo keywords, captioning, and other tips listed above.

Your images will be found through Google Image Search if you link them with meta info in blogs, forum posts, and other websites.

Thanks. It is a little long but hope that helps!

Markham
You cannot beat Smugmug customer service.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom