Spring beauty (Claytonia virginica)

I don't see many of these aptly named wildflowers posted here, but there are patches everywhere in my fields and woods (and even the lawn) this week. With flowers that range from nearly pure white to nearly all red, these little beauties tell me that it's almost time to start chasing butterflies:smile: .

DSC_1622sm.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Assume you had no sun to speak of. I'd be happy with those. Having just acquired a macro lens, I am in the 1st grade here. I am guessing that DOF is a non-corrective problem when shooting closeup. I am still trying to figure this issue out.

Assume you had no sun to speak of. I'd be happy with those. Having just acquired a macro lens, I am in the 1st grade here. I am guessing that DOF is a non-corrective problem when shooting closeup. I am still trying to figure this issue out.

Right -- DOF is determined by a combination of focal length, aperture, and range. With closeups like this one taken with the 300 f/4, there just isn't much DOF to play with. The trick is to take advantage of the DOF in your composition -- my problem lies in not deciding exactly what I want before I take the shot:redface: (and then sticking with it).

Gale and Torben -- thanks for looking and commenting.

Very pretty flowers, lovely shot. It is as if someone drew lines on them with a crayon :smile:

Thanks Roosje -- there is a lot of natural variability in the markings on these flowers. With some, you have to look very closely to see any color at all in the petals. I chose this group because the intensity of color was more than that of most other flowers in the area. I hadn't thought of it, but you're right -- it does look like a crayon job:biggrin: .

Thanks Dave and Sandi.

Sandi, I didn't want to disturb that bud before the shot and I had thought I might clone it out afterward. However, when I saw the photo, I decided that I liked it too much to take it out:smile: .

Thanks Tom. I'm glad I got these -- the storms forecast for the next couple of days will certainly inhibit any additional ones:frown: .

BTW, I found some more very healthy looking trillium, but still don't have any shots of open flowers.

R

RMOPHOTO

Beautiful

Nice pictures Bob, I like the contrast between the background and the flowers, the colors and composition are super.

Nice pictures Bob, I like the contrast between the background and the flowers, the colors and composition are super.

Thanks Ramon. Sometimes, I feel I have to separate subject and background in PP, but this one seemed to be just fine as is. It probably helped that I waited for a small cloud to block the direct sunlight.

Thanks Harry -- there was a tiny wasp hanging around, but I never "caught" it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom