Critique Spring Break in DC, IMG HVY

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by rjthomas222, Apr 17, 2017.

1. My family and went to D.C. for spring break last week, and I did a lot of photography while I was there. Here are a few of my favorites from the two-three sunsets and the same number of sunrises I could get free for while we were there. In addition I took three timelapses which can be viewed here(the last three) D.C. - Ross Thomas along with the rest of pictures from the trip. Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking!
    1. [​IMG]
    A sunrise viewed from the Arlington side of the potomac.
    2. [​IMG]
    The view from the top of our hotel.
    3. [​IMG]
    The moonset behind the Lincoln Memorial just before sunrise (time lapse on my smugmug but it is accidentally in reverse)
    4. [​IMG]
    This scene caught my eye at Arlington National Cemetery.
    5.[​IMG]
    I bought a 10-stop B&W filter for the trip to blur crowds and also for the effect it can have. i used it here at the Iwo Jima/Marine Corp memorial to blur a tour bus of middle schoolers that had just arrived, but a few stood around too long.
    6.[​IMG]
    An almost 10 second exposure of the same sunrise as in #1, using the 10 stop filter.
    7. [​IMG]
    I went to the Jefferson memorial one evening for blue hour, and took the normal post card type shots but I had some left over time. So I was standing around and the airplanes taking off from Reagan National airport caught my eye. I set up my camera like I would for a time lapse and blended 10-15 frames with the planes in it in photoshop, which resulted in this after I did some adjustments in LR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Stunning! Rich and vibrant. Well composed and creative.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I think you captured some wonderful images, great variety and just wonderful colors and framing of subjects.

4. Thanks!

5. That's a super set of images! I especially like the long exposures and especially #7.

6. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Oh my goodness, these are fantastic! And #3, R.J. - that one is just superb. Well done!!

7. These are outstanding, Ross. You're showing up your Grandpa!

8. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Beautiful set especially #3 and #7

9. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Photographic talent runs through the Thomas veins, as the apple did not fall far from the tree at all. Grandpa taught the young one well...:)

10. Thankyou!

11. Thanks!

12. Haha I don't know about showing you up Pa, but thanks and he's definitely a wealth of knowledge and information!

13. Thanks for saying this, Lyndee, but the fact is he is largely self-taught. Taught his grandpa a trick or two along the way, too.

14. Every one is wonderful, but I choose #3 as a favorite.

15. zepplinrox

zepplinrox

Jan 31, 2009
    york, pa
    Wow...love all of these!

16. You have a great eye for composition

17. Outstanding work. Looks like a successful trip!

18. Thanks Everyone!

19. Thanks! And it was a very successful trip haha. I was very lucky and got great light all but maybe 1 time which was awesome and let me capture some shots I'm very happy with.