Spring Football

I got home from my day job yesterday and found that my tc-14e had arrived and not 30min later the wife said that a friend of the families son was having a spring game. It was more of a lets see how our different strings stack up against another team type of game. I forgot my monopad so I had to shoot hand held with the 70-200mm and the tc-14. These were some of the better ones.

Larry
78435849.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 94263
View attachment 94264
View attachment 94265
View attachment 94266
View attachment 94267
View attachment 94268

I was shooting shutter priority set at 320 to 400. The the f stop went from f7 to f4. I probably could have cranked my shutter speed up up a little and stopped the action a little better. The sun was setting and was in an out of the the clouds.

I'm still developing my technique for sports. Shooting dancers in a theater setting is my normal environment. I'm working 1300 pictures from this past Sunday's dance recital for my wifes dance school.

Larry

I would suggest that you shoot in A mode and boost the ISO to get shutter speeds higher say at least 800 1/1000 if possible The lower f stop will give you higher shutter speed and a better lookign background.
I sure wish we had some football here it is my favorite sport to shoot

These do seem a bit soft. Great timing on the shots though. #2 is pretty cool.

Mike is correct....drop the f stop and get the the SS up to 1/500 or more. If that mean increased ISO, so be it. Adjusting exposure bias by 1/3 of a stop might help here as well....hard to see into those helmets....and facial expressions on some of the kids...if you know what I mean

I too miss football....soon.....

Thank you both for the comments and critiques. I have to break the habit of relying on the settings vs what they look like on the lcd. I could have easily upped the shutter speed without touching the ISO. I didn't think to switch to aperature priority. I'm so used to shooting in shutter priority for dance. Live an learn. Maybe they will have another practice game soon and I'll give it another shot.

Thanks again,
Larry

J

Justshootit

Question

I have a D-70 w/ VR lense, and this are the type of shot that I want to capture for my Football Program. I'm new to the cafe and I'm looking to get some good advise on shooting sports games.

I have to break the habit of relying on the settings vs what they look like on the lcd.

Larry: I rarely use the LCD for image determination anymore. If you are not already doing it, learn what that histogram is telling you...it is a far better way to determine what the camera is seeing and what settings you might be able to adjust. It took me awhile to really understand it....in fact I doubt I actually do...but I can tell when an image is not correct now.

Randy

Real Name
Randy
this is why i don't use my 1.4 tc on my 70-200...
iq and detail is noticeably off from using the lens w/o the tc

Real Name
Randy
I was shooting shutter priority set at 320 to 400. The the f stop went from f7 to f4. I probably could have cranked my shutter speed up up a little and stopped the action a little better. The sun was setting and was in an out of the the clouds.

I'm still developing my technique for sports. Shooting dancers in a theater setting is my normal environment. I'm working 1300 pictures from this past Sunday's dance recital for my wifes dance school.

Larry

ss explains motion blur but not soft focus....
imo it's the tc

Real Name
Randy
Thank you both for the comments and critiques. I have to break the habit of relying on the settings vs what they look like on the lcd. I could have easily upped the shutter speed without touching the ISO. I didn't think to switch to aperature priority. I'm so used to shooting in shutter priority for dance. Live an learn. Maybe they will have another practice game soon and I'll give it another shot.

Thanks again,
Larry

turn the lcd off, except for the histogram (which i chk quite often) the lcd is useless (IMO)
also saves battery w/ it off

I do appreciate all of the tips and comments. The lcd stays off except when I check for either highlights or I'm looking at the histogram. I'm going to work on my histogram gram reading and stop relying on the lcd to determine focus.

Thanks again,
Larry

Latest threads

Top Bottom