Spring Forest Floor [UV]

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by nfoto, Dec 7, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I follow up Paul's request for UV pictorial images by posting the odd new shot now and then,

D70 with UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, 200 ISO, f/16 and 15 sec, Hoya U-330 and B+W BG-38 filters

Just before spring leafing, the floor of this mixed beech-oak forest is completely carpeted with the white flowers of the Wood Anemone. A very lovely sight whether done visual, or in IR or (as here) UV.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Bjørn, I find pictoral UV to be very spooky - much more so than IR, which looks more fairy-landish to me. UV in contrast looks stark and hard edged. Your choice of color interpretation here supports this as well. I get the impression that there is an edge to the forest right in front of where you are shooting, and that something else lies behind.

Great shot.

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The forest really goes on like this for a long distance. The floor is uneven and might give the impression of a ridge, however.

It's interesting you find UV "stark", in my view it's IR that deserves this characteristic. UV landscapes tend to be very very soft and more often than not the picture literally dissolves into nothingness (UV is strongly scattered in the atmosphere). Thus most of my pictorial UV is on a smaller scale. IR on the other hand cuts straight through atmospheric haze to give a starkish rendition of the remote scenery.

4. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Bjørn, I really enjoy your UV work, thanks for shaing it.

I've been on the look out for a Nikon 105mm F/4.5 UV. One was listed on ebay recently -- for $6,500USD!!! No one bid. :biggrin:

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I purchased my UV-Nikkor in 1992, and paid around 1.000 $ for it, so even to me it was an expensive lens. However, it has paid for itself at least 50 times, so I won't complain :biggrin:

Try looking into older bellows or enlarger lenses with simple coating, they frequently pass enough of the (upper) UV-A band so you can use them for pictorial UV work and even flowers (in studio, not outdoors, if you want to record UV markings on the petals).

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Spooky yes in the way Chris mentioned, but soft as you discribe.
    Very nice image.
    Great work Bjorn. You vision is truly brilliant.

7. Very interesting image Bjorn. I like the way the leaves really stand out in a forest that is dark and foreboding.

8. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Fascinating image Bjorn..

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Excellent!

I've always loved UV but have yet to give it a try. This shot is certainly inspiration...very beautiful!!!
    Robert

11. This is really beautiful. Very spooky. Great shot.