Spring has sprung! (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TOLady, Apr 15, 2007.

1. I went shooting yesterday with a photog buddy. He told me about a GBH rookery which got my blood flowing. I've been suffering from cabin fever lately. Just wanted to shoot.
    I was warned it might be wet so I dressed appropriately. Such a vision of loveliness! Here I am, wellies and all, checking to see how deep the swamp gets before lugging the gear through it.

This is what we were after - the rookery. Nests everywhere but in dense trees! Photographers' nightmare.
    original.

There was only one place to set up and get a chance of a clear shot of a nest. This is with the 80-400VR, handheld because I was stupid enough to leave the lens foot at home :frown:. Not one of my best shots but it shows you what we were after...
    original.

We decided to zip down to the lake and check out the marsh. All the birds were there, singing their little hearts out. The RWBlackbirds were abundant, but shy - they were keeping their distance. This is a 100% crop, not crisp...
    original.

We were looking for birds to shoot, and lo and behold, right beside my foot in the dried grasses, I spy a little muskrat having a spring snooze! Nothing seemed to faze him. I even tickled his chin with a reed and he tilted his face upwards, eyes still closed, revelling in the free scratch and acted like a cat!!! It was hilarious! We were far too close to him for the lenses we had on, so I just nabbed this with my little Canon P&S. After a few minutes, he trundled off into the water.
    original.

It was so nice to see the signs of Spring coming back to my neck of the woods...
    [​IMG]

.. and all the little critters were emerging to enjoy the new green shoots....
    original.

This little guy was so enthralled with his lunch, he paid no attention to us, no matter how close we inched...
    original.

We provided lunch for some of the critters (shameless photography baiting! :eek: original. )...

The birds were high in the trees, calling for their lady-loves..
    original.

... and enjoying a snack or two..
    original.

The chickadees enjoyed being hand-fed ....
    original.
    The light was fading fast so time to head for home. I must admit, after the winter stretching on forever, it was nice to get out and shoot. All in all, I was not thrilled with the results. Nothing "wowwed" me, and I think I'm going to have to include flash and a BB in my gear.....

.... BUT it was so nice to immerse myself into Mother Nature's wonderful Spring display.

2. Great series Sandi

Love the story but I love the outdoors any way it is shown

3. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Sandi looks like a nice time out,won't be long and you will have better weather to get some more great captures.Really glad you got to least get out and enjoy the day,will be watching for more to come. :smile:

4. great set Sandi, nice to see you getting out.

5. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'm like you, Sandi. I can only spend so much time indoors until I NEED to get out. I do love your shot of the chickadee. It looks like his little feathers are blowing in a breeze. Thanks for sharing!

6. Thanks Gary. I was disappointed in the GBH nests being so deep into the woods. No clear shots available. I had Venice Rookery in my mind and found something completely different!!

Thanks for looking, Tim. I had a great time tromping through the muck, listening to all the birds, seeing little green shoots popping up.

Thanks Eric, just nice to get out in the fresh air. I was dog-tired when I got home, that's for sure. Hiking over 5 kms in rubber boots through mud is a workout!

7. Thanks for looking, Kim. It was quite breezy, very difficult to get any clear shots, heavy skies most of the time. I just needed to get out and shoot something... anything. These certainly are not my best but they are representative of the day. Hundreds of throw aways but still fun. The muskrat and the rabbit were the highlights.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super super neat Sandi
    Very nice shots:)))

I love the wild wabbit

9. Seems like you had a wonderful day with lots of neat shooting opportunities. Nice shots! Would be nice if spring really did arrive and stay.

10. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill
    What a great day Sandi!
    Thanks for sharing,

Bill

11. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Looks like you had a good walk Sandi.

12. Nice job handheld hope what we got here today is not heading your way I think you are a little to far inland for this mess

13. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

The phot´s give that great I wanna go outside feeling! Fine job!

14. Great stuff Sandi...isn't spring a rejuvenating time of year!!

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

Getting out into nature is one of the things that makes this hobby so great. Looks like you had a great walk, and even though you didn't get every shot that you were hoping for, you did get some good ones. :rolleyes:

16. That first Spring excursion into the outdoors does restore one's faith that Spring will soon arrive. Nice series. I'm looking forward to your wonderful adventures on the kayak this Summer.

17. Thanks Gale, he was so engrossed in getting his lunch/dinner, that he let us creep right up. Of course, he also had the safety of his nettle bushes close by!

Thankyou OhCorgis, it was just nice to get out, tromp through the mud, and watch all the activity. Not the best day for shooting, but at least it lifted my soul. Spring is on her way!

Thanks Bill and Chris for looking, the legs were tired, the lungs had a workout and I slept well that night! :biggrin:

Mike, please keep any nasty weather. I've really had enough here. Apparently, we're still not finished. Bad storms throughout the east but Toronto is getting a miss this time on the heavy stuff - just light rains.

Thanks Gastheer, always great to get out and shoot, or even just observe.

Bob, Spring is my favourite time of year, I revel in the glory of it all, and I think this Spring is going to be a great one! :biggrin:

Flew, sometimes as photographers we have to accept the fact that some days, we're not meant to get superb shots. It make them all sweeter when we do. It was a great hike though. The muskrat almost had us falling over laughing. He didn't give two hoots that we were there.

Thanks Brian, at least that day gave me the promise that Spring hasn't forgotten me. I too am looking forward to that first paddle. Feeling the paddle in the water, the surge forward and then just skimming along makes my heart race.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You admit that these aren't your best, but it sure is nice to know that you are out shooting again. When the weather warms up, the Cafe is waiting to see what color your toenails will be adorned with!!! That.....is a sure sign of summer!:tongue:

19. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Sandi, sure looks like you had some fun and that is what it's all about! I really like the rabbit shots.

20. Sandi, this is a great series. Sounds like you had a terrfic day out.

Louie