"Spring Into .." Meme Starts 5/24, Official Signup Thread

Well folks, the time for the first “Spring Into Summer” Meme is upon us. This post will outline the guidelines for the meme and hopefully answer some of the questions raised. Thanks to the early crew (you know who you are) who helped shape the meme. If you haven't signed up yet, I hope you will after reviewing the quidelines below. We have tried to make this an "easy and relaxed" event. Just add a post and let us know what you will be shooting, and I'll add you to the list.

The meme will run four weeks and a day … the extra day being the start of Summer, June 21. Here are the “weeks”, which start on a Saturday and end on a Friday. This should maximize flexibility for shooting and posting during each week.

Week One: Saturday 5/24thru Friday 5/31
Week Two: Saturday 5/31 thru Friday 6/6
Week Three: Saturday 6/7 thru Friday 6/13
Week Four: Saturday 6/14 thru Friday 6/20
Bonus Day: Saturday 6/21 – first day of Summer

The meme will officially start 12:00am May 23(your local time) and end 11:59pm June 21 (your local time).

The objective is to take and post three photos a week, either individually or as a group as you see fit, using one or two prime lenses of your choice, and another photo on the first day of summer. As in our past meme’s, if you are shooting film, you may start a week in advance or post a week late to allow processing, but you should identify you posts with the proper week and post number you are submitting for. And if you are shooting digital and just can't wait to start, we will "overlook" a shoot date of May 23 for first photo(s).

Once you have declared your lenses (you may change up until Friday May 23 at 11:00pm) those are the only lenses with which you may submits photos to the meme. You may use other lenses for other purposes … we are trying to keep this “light and easy” in keeping with the season.

We all expect to have fun and share fellowship in the meme; it also serves an educational purpose: to explore the strengths and weakness of our chosen lenses, and through photo and conversation to help other members in the meme appreciate (or not) that lens/lens system. In addition, of course, to helping us appreciate your photographic skills. :)

Posting will be to individual threads set up by each participant at the start of the meme. Since tracking is a bit more complex when not following a daily routine, I’m suggesting the following format for setting up your thread to help all of us know where we stand in our visitations and responses:

Meme - Handle (name) – Week # - Photo #(s) – Posting Date .

Week #, Photo #(s), and Posting Date for this thread-starting post should be updated following each post you make in the thread, to help others locate what is new from what they have already visited.

Examples:

Spring 2014 - Harry Lavo (Harry) – Week 3 – Photo’s 2,3 – June 12
Or
Spring 2014 - Harry Lavo (Harry) – Week 2 – Photo 1 – June 3

To edit the title, go to “Thread Tools” at the upper right of your first post and choose “Edit Title”.

To make tracking easier, I will be logging each participant into a blank tracking sheet right up until 11:00pm on Friday night May 20. My email address is hlavo@yahoo.com. If you send me your address in advance, I will mail you the final version that night. It will be in Excel 2003 format and so should work on most copies of Excel, or in conversion to Apple.

The meme is open not only to Nikon bodies and lenses, but to other brands as well. If you are using a different system than Nikon FF (APS-C, M4/3, med format, etc.) it would be very helpful to remind other members of the meme as to the 35mm equivalent so we can better understand the role of the lens in a 35mm system context. You may also use one lens with several bodies, or a different body with each of two lenses. Just remind us of what you are shooting with.

If you are not in the northern hemisphere do not worry about it. You are very much invited to participate.

I will be visiting various forums trying to get the message out. Please join me in contacting others as you see fit. Hopefully we can together make this relaxed meme every bit as successful as the Octoberfest meme over time. We will be having a post-meme discussion after the meme is over to start to collect our thoughts on how to make it better in the future.

Here are the participants and known lens/camera choices as of Wednesday Afternoon (2:00pm) EST, May 28. Please check here for updates; I will try to update at least once every evening.

PARTICIPANT - IN? - LENS(ES) - CAMERA(S)

Arto (Art) - YES - 28/2.8E & 200/4 AI - F4S, EM film; D2H, D3100 digital
BLX (Morten) - YES - 14/2.5 & 60/2.8 - Oly E-M5
Caraman (Phil) - YES - 35/1.4 - D600
Chris101 (Chris) - YES - 35/2.0D & 35/AI-S - D700, D2X digital; N80, FG film
djh63 (David) - YES - Hassleblad 80/2.8 - Hassleblad 500C
drauka (Dave) - YES - 35/2D & 85/1.8D - D7000, D80
Emoyeni (Eamonn) - YES - 85/1.8G & 300/4 AF-S - D700
Dropsix (Eric) - YES - Sigma 35/1.4 - D600
Fons Baerken (Fons) - YES - 24/1.4 & 105/2 - D800
Gordo (Gordon) - YES - AI-S 200/2.0 & Fuji 27/2.8 - D700, Fuji XT-1
Harry Lavo (Harry) - YES - Vivitar 100 macro, 85/1.8D - D600, D7000
JusPlainCrayzee (Lyndee) - YES - Nikkor 50/1.8 - D7100
Kees de Bruin (Kees) - YES - 85/3.5 micro & 35/1.8 AF-S - D7100
Keirin (John) - YES - 10.5 DX & 105/2.8G macro - D7100, D200 IR
Kixsand (Darren) - YES - 24/2.8 AI-S & 105/2.5 AI-S - D700
Kry27 (Roland) - YES - 28/1.4 & 135/2 DC - Sony A7, D3
les_au (Les) - YES - 35/1.8DX & Sigma 150 macro - D90
Lisa (Morten-BLX) - YES - 20/1.7 + Panasonic DMC-G6
mcs (Michael) - YES - Panaleica 25mm f1.4 & mZuiko 60mm f2.8 - OM-Ds (E-M1 or E-M5)
mpresley (Mike) - YES - 4/3rd 17/1.8 & 75/1.8 - Oly & Pano Bodies
Naptown Sailor - YES - Sig 35/1.4 & Sig 150/2.8 macro - ???
OHcorgis (Birgit) - YES - 60/2.8 and 200/2.8 - D4, D700
skidoo (Mike) - YES - 28/2.8 & 150/2.8 (Sig??) - D700
SWsabre (Bill) - YES - Sig 24/1.8 & Nikkor 300/4 AF - D7000
Terri French (Terri) - YES - 85/1.4D AF & 35/2 AF - D600
Uncle Frank (Frank) - YES - 25/1.8 (Oly) & 50/1.8D - Oly E-P5 & D700
Winterfell (Brian) - YES - 58mm f/1.4g / Zenit Helios 40-2 (85mm f/1.5 new one in f mount) / D800E
Xapathan (Aaron) - YES - 50/1.4G & CZ Macro Planar 100/2 - D700

If I've missed something, please bring it up below. Thanks.

As Chris has implied “Gentlemen and Gals, start your engines”.

Last edited:
I have chosen the two lenses that I'll be using and a number of bodies that I plan to use them on.

Lens #1 - 28mm f2.8E
Lens #2 - 200mm f4 AI

I'll be moving around body-wise. I plan to shoot film near the beginning of the Meme so that I have time to get it processed etc. For that I'm planning to shoot with an F4S and most likely an EM as well. I will also be shooting with my D2H and my D3100. I'll be using both film and digital in the first week to 10 days and then I'll go strictly digital while I'm waiting for the film to come back from processing.

Since this is the "Official Signup Thread", I'm posting this here. I hope that's correct. Nice rules Harry. You've put a lot of thought into making this a great time for everyone. Thanks.

Hell0 Harry,
I'd say thsi could be a combo for the meme:

Xapathan (Aaron) - try to find some time - 50/1,4G & 85/1.4G - D700

Thanks, Harry. I love to join a meme with you.
But... two AF lenses? No! Let's switch for the 85 to the CZ Macro Planar 100/2.

Hell0 Harry,
I'd say thsi could be a combo for the meme:

Xapathan (Aaron) - try to find some time - 50/1,4G & 85/1.4G - D700

Yea! I'm so happy you'll be joining us, Aaron. I like your new lens combo. I thought 50 and 85 were too close. 50 and 100 offer two distinctly different perspectives.

Yea! I'm so happy you'll be joining us, Aaron. I like your new lens combo. I thought 50 and 85 were too close. 50 and 100 offer two distinctly different perspectives.

Thank you my friend. I hope I won't disappoint you.

Done!! (in a sec)
A big thank you to the admins for allowing you editing capabilities, and a big thank you to YOU for a wonderful job of organizing this meme. Good job, Harry!

Actually, Frank, he's now going 35/1.4G and the macro planar, I believe. Right, Aaron?

A big thank you to the admins for allowing you editing capabilities, and a big thank you to YOU for a wonderful job of organizing this meme. Good job, Harry!

Actually, Frank, I had screwed up and confused the preview after editing for the online post. Chris came to my rescue. I've got to admit, I find the new forum software cumbersome in some ways compared to the old .... the lack of a distinctive difference between post and preview and post and private conversation being the two biggest.

But I'll accept your thanks, anyway! :)

Emoyeni (Eamonn) - Yes - Nikon 85mm 1.8 G & 300mm AF-S f/4 - D700

Now some questions/comments.

I'm new to venturing outside of the general discussion forums on the cafe so help me out here. What exactly are we shooting?
May 1st is the start of summer so what gives with June 21?

Hello and welcome, Eamonn. In this meme, you can pick your own theme or choose no theme. The season dictates to some degree probably what some will shoot, but there is no restriction.

As to the date, here in the States June 21 is the official start of summer, although Memorial Day which generally falls around the end of May is often treated as the "unofficial" start of summer. So the meme is designed to cover both these periods, with the "official" June 21 date marking the end of the meme.

On a personal note, I am also a "telephoto" leaning shooter, so I will look forward to what you produce with two excellent lenses.

I will be add your name to the list this evening.

Last edited:
i am in as well

d90, 35mm f/1.8 dx and a sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro

Hi, Les. Good to see you again and to join the meme. I will be particularly interested in how that Siggy performs, since I will be using both the 85/1.8d and the Vivitar (Kiron) 100mm macros to do some macro work myself.

Does it snow down-under at this time of year? What should we expect?

I'll add you to the list tonight.

Hi, Les. Good to see you again and to join the meme. I will be particularly interested in how that Siggy performs, since I will be using both the 85/1.8d and the Vivitar (Kiron) 100mm macros to do some macro work myself.

Does it snow down-under at this time of year? What should we expect?

I'll add you to the list tonight.

we don't get snow where i am, with any luck some nice fall colours etc, could be interesting to shoot

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I have been in a photographic slump for almost a year now. I've been trying to get out of it and had even purchased a new camera body back in March to see if that would help. To date, I've taken exactly 19 photos with it. :( This meme may be just what I need to get out of my photographic slump, so count me in! :)

I'll be shooting with the D7100 and my tried and true 50mm 1.8/f.

Harry, I've added myself to the list in your first post; hope you don't mind...

I have been in a photographic slump for almost a year now. I've been trying to get out of it and had even purchased a new camera body back in March to see if that would help. To date, I've taken exactly 19 photos with it. :( This meme may be just what I need to get out of my photographic slump, so count me in! :)

I'll be shooting with the D7100 and my tried and true 50mm 1.8/f.

Harry, I've added myself to the list in your first post; hope you don't mind...

Welcome, Lyndee! I've missed you on the 52 week forum, and this will be a great chance to catch up.

Harry's away on a day trip, or he'd welcome you himself. I'm sure he'll have no problem with you adding yourself to the list, and would probably be grateful if you'd alphabetize it for him. ;)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom