Spring Mill

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by R Bond, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Hi All

Here are few shots from Indiana's Spring Mill State Park. I thought I would try my hand at Sepia and B&W. Teri (the boss) likes the Sepia effect while my favorite is the B&W "Inside Out" shot. I thought I would put these up and see what you folks think. As always any comments, suggestions or protests are welcome.

Happy New Year

RB

Inside out

2. Very interesting perspectives with the sepia. Im a big black and white fan, really like your perspective. Great series and neat buildings

3. yes, the inside out whot works very well. The others take to the sepia effect rather well.
    Dave

4. The last one is my favorite. All awesome shots though

5. Thanks Keith, I appreciate your comments. Architecture is always a challenge for me. I think the first one is maybe a little better than the second.

Happy New Year

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have to agree with Jared.. that last one is my favorite of the bunch... Nice work..

7. Hi Dave

Thanks, the "Inside Out" shot looks better in print at 6.6X10, it's with a D100 at ISO 800 and lost a little going through the web treatment. I probably need to learn a thing or two about B&W conversion too.

Happy New Year

8. Thanks Jared

I am glad you like them.

Happy New Year

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Great series of images. I wouldnt change a thing !

Regards

RFC

10. Hello Dave B

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

11. I appreciate the compliment, Robert.

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm not sure whether I like the first or the third best. I do prefer the sepia tone, it might be interesting to apply that to the last one. Next time you go, (if you haven't tried it already) I'd be interested to see a shot from the left side of the first shot, from the end of the flume as it comes out of the woods looking back toward the waterwheel and the building. Not sure what might muck up the shot, parking lot? When you save for the web, do you use the "save for web" button? If so, try just save as. I found I didn't like the save for web feature, it did weird things to the photo. I re-size manually, at 72 dpi, and sharpen accordingly. I have found that I have to oversharpen abit to my tastes to get it to look right on the web. I also don't post big files, P-Base has been known to compress them and when that happens, they don't look to good. Very nice images.

13. Thanks for the comments, Baywing. I tried sepia on the third one but didn't like it as much at the time. Since then I have found with a few other photos that you have to work with the contrast a little more on sepia than B&W. I also prefer B&W but sepia is growing on me. I don't use the "save to web" function anymore because it erases the exif data, for some reason between Pbase and here I am losing the exif. I resized these manually at 96 dpi (I think) and 800 pixels on the long side, I am thinking that 640 on the long side will be enough, it'll help on those dial-up uploads too. I'll try a little more sharpening to see what that does.