Spring Roadtrip and Walkabout.

Real Name
Mike
Took Friday off from work and made a little roadtrip south to a part of Ohio that is loaded with wonderful preserves and parks. My first stop was Shallenberger Nature Preserve outside of Lancaster. It's an easily accessible preserve with several miles of trails, old woodlands and beautiful spring wildflowers.

1. Hillside full of Large Flowered Trillium

trillium%20at%20Shallengerger.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Large Flowered Trillium in it's pink/purple stage and a Downy Yellow Violet

purple%20trillium%20and%20downey%20yellow%20violet%20at%20Shallenberger.jpg

3. Mayapple

mayapple%20at%20Shallenberger.jpg

The next stop was Wahkeena Nature Preserve. Wahkeena is a Yakima Indian word meaning "most beautiful". It is truly the most beautiful of all the Ohio preserves I've visited.

4. Lake Odanata at Wahkeena Nature Preserve.

Lake%20Odanata%20at%20Wahkeena.jpg

5. Showy Orchis at Wahkeena Nature Preserve.

showy%20orchis%20at%20Wahkeena%202.jpg

6. Wild Geranium at Wahkeena Nature Preserve.

wild%20geranium%20at%20Wahkeena.jpg

7. Pink Lady's Slipper orchid at Wahkeena Nature Preserve.

pink%20lady%27s%20slipper%20at%20Wahkeena%202.jpg

Next was a drive through Clear Creek Metro Park then over to Cantwell Cliffs. Cantwell is a spectacular example of some of Ohio's incredible geological formations. The hiking is challenging, but the scenery and experiences are well worth it. I still have many images of the geological features to go through for a future thread.

8. Common Paw Paw at Cantwell Cliffs.

common%20Paw%20Paw%20at%20Cantwell%20Cliffs.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful set with a lot of variety of subjects and locations! #2, 5, 7 and 8 are particularly nice!

Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys! It was a very enjoyable day doing the things I love to do.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Samuel. I almost missed the Paw Paw. Didn't see it until I turned around and caught it out of the corner of my eye. The lake image was a hard one. I'm still not satisfied with what I've got yet. So much dynamic range. Did a lot of dodging and burning to get it half way passable.

Excellent set, Mike.
Interesting that everything south of Lancaster is so far along compared to the same species here (5 mi north of Lancaster). Your shots made me run out to the woods this afternoon in search of the Showy orchis. There was nothing except maybe the start of one plant. Most of our paw-paws are just budding.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks Bob. It has been an unusual year so far for the development of plants in different areas. The wildflowers in my home in Springfield seemed to be way behind the plants in areas just 10 - 15 miles in any direction. Not sure why and haven't been able to talk to anyone who might know. I know our ground was frozen very deep this winter into early spring. I can only hypothesize that it has to do with the differences in the geology of areas. The lay of the land, the presence of a large aquifer and such.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom