Spring Training begins..

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Backdoctor, Mar 5, 2005.

1. shot at Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie with my D2H and 70-300. Did shoot the 300 f4, and will post more later

this is the first hit for Carlos Beltran at a home game. that ball ended up over the right field fence for a home run:
    guess he's doing what he got that $112M contract to do.
    the follow thru:
    I had to use -1.0ev due to blowing highlights, but next time will only use -.3 as using too much ev led to noise when it came time to see his face. Glad there's more games.
    Same thing for brad looper practicing before being put in. Too much -ev led to too much shadow correction, dumb mistake, but south florida midday sun will do this with white pants and dark shirts:

this one has only -.3 and looks better to me, what do you think?
    here's the 300 f4, at -2/3 ev:
    more to come soon.

2. "If it's white, let it blow." White pants (before sliding into base) with mid-day Florida sun? I'd say they're likely to be pretty white.

The faces are more important for detail than the pants, IMHO. Let it blow...

Good shots, despite your concerns... think they'll let you on the field if you tell them your the official Spring Training Photographer From Nikon Cafe?

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool shots Harris. 8)

I shot my first baseball game last Wed, but I had to shoot through the fence. I got some some decent shots, but I'll do better next time.

Here are a couple of one of the pitchers. This was of my sister's son's team (Birmingham Southern College).

The release point:
    [​IMG]

On the way:
    [​IMG]

My nephew Pat:
    [​IMG]

Next time, I think I'll take a ladder, so I can see over the blasted fence.... :wink:

Frank

4. Very nice Harris, you did a great job of catching the action.

5. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nicely done Harris and Frank.

My only complaint would be with Harris' first and third shots - the way the shirts are makes 'em look, well, arrr, ummm well-endowed. ;) Although that's hardly your fault. Really, I think you did a good job on those shots Harris.

Neil

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Baseball is not only about the team(s) you love - it's also about the ones you hate. And I hate the Mets, it doesn't matter who they are playing, I'm on the other side, even Montreal, er, Washington, right? They're #2 from the bottom of my list.

Thanks Harris. You're gettin' my (baseball) juices flowin'.

7. Great work with the 70-300, Harris. Careful you don't make the 300/4 look bad :lol:.

My favorite shot is the one with the ump. He's really into the game, isn't he?

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Good looking shots there Harris. You are really making me miss Florida when I see pictures like this and I look out the window to see gray English weather.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Neat sutff, Harris, (&Flew)

I'm very curious to know why you took both the 70-300 & the 300 f4 lenses.

10. Re: Neat sutff, Harris, (&Flew)

I thought the 300 f4 may be too much lens. It's ok for the pitcher, and some fielders, and the batter, but cant get the batter, catcher and ump in one shot. Brought the 70-300 for flexibility. Wish I had a 70-200 or 80-200 f2.8

11. Nice first series

Nicely done, cant wait till you get your timing down!. My Phillies are in big trouble this year me thinks!

12. Re: Neat sutff, Harris, (&Flew)

I took the 80-200 to a Little League game yesterday, and it had the perfect range for the job. Looks like you need
    to add another item to your list, Haris :p.