Spur of the moment becomes...

Discussion in 'People' started by Czechman01, Jul 8, 2007.

1. ... a significant find.

This is Jessica. She's 30 years old. She's never posed for anything, but hit me up to see if I'd "take a chance on a beginner".

Some days it's worth getting out of bed.

D2X/105VR
    No make up...
    original.

original.

In her message to me she said she would like to have something that would still be special 30 years from now.

I had not planned for anything beyond a couple quick portraits because I never know what to expect the first time I work with someone, but things were going so well I put some props together and came up with another one of my IR conversions.

D100-IR/Nikon 18-200VR
    View attachment 104704

2. Hey Woody, beautiful lady and - as always - very good images :biggrin: I like nr.2 the best, nr.3 looks good but - IMHO - her right arm doesn't look too flattering here (too large & too hairy). If I may, did you try cropping out the small portion of her arm in nr.2 on the lower keft corner?

Thanks for sharing, very good job :biggrin:

3. WOW!!! Great stuff here, Woody. She's tremendous, and you've created some wonderful photographs. I'd love to see some more IR work with portraits.

4. Woody,

My favorite has to be the first one. Dang, she has captivating eyes. What a "natural" model. A photographer should be so lucky as to have a subject like that ask you to "take a chance on a beginner"!

5. This is a new processing technique for me and I'm still trying to settle into what I want the final product to look like, and I find your observation to be interesting and I'll keep it in the back of my mind for the next time.

The idea isn't to make the model look glamourous, she's supposed to look haunting and mysterious and I think the arm makes her look somewhat masculine/intimidating... like a guard over a dark land where neither you nor I are welcome.

Thanks for commenting and making me think.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

woa ...wonderful ..i like the last one as well. kind ofa "i am woman, hear me now" mood thing....AWESOME!

7. Those first two are great. She really has no modeling experience? How did you manage to get her so comfortable with such great poses?

More importantly, why doesn't this sort of thing happen to me??

8. Dosent look like a "beginner" to me!

#2 is very nice! Love the bw and the pose.

#1 is nice aswell, but the lack of mu is showing especially on her lips.

Great job from the both you!

9. Here's another version, not quite so heavy handed

original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2007
  10. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Love, love, love, the first one. Perfect eyes and hair.

Great find Woody.

11. Really like the first one. The last one has been marred by some pretty unpleasant post-processing though it seems to me. Great model!

12. Your IR portraits, Woody, are really superb.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

13. #3 of the first batch: Well seen, imagined, and done.

14. I guess what I meant with the unappealing processing was the poorly executed dodging and burning on her face and hair. The old paper in meshed into the background is pretty cool.

15. Thanks! I'm just now beginning to develop this style and it's taking a lot of experimentation to get to where I want to be. The object is not to create a glamorous image but rather a fantasy. And if I accomplish exactly what I set out to do and nobody likes it, I really don't care. I'm having a blast doing things that please me and not trying an AD. Ahhhhh Freeeeedom!

I don't know how I'm going to get there but I'm on my way and looking for comments that make me think.

16. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Very nice Woody. Really like the first one, she has a great skin tone for color photos, and her eyes are killer. I have to disagree with vieri about her arms. She asked for something special, and presenting her beautifully in her natural form is a great way of doing that. On the third photo, I prefer the second version. The way that the stone is layered on top of her in the bottom left of the first version was a little bit distracting to me. Overall, a job well done.

17. It's interesting that I've gotten so many remarks about her arm. During the course of the shoot I couldn't help but notice how well her arms were defined so I asked if she worked out. She got this big grin and was quite proud that I noticed. So when we did this I wanted to show the definition in her arm. As far as the hair goes... hey, it's not hair, it's fur and (in my way of thinking)there are few things sexier than the fur on a woman's body.

That's what makes this kind of imagery so interesting. It's a very personal expression, a lot of which goes unsaid. It should be discussed, it should provoke thought - even disagreement. I'm my own worse critic. I do what I want to do. If someone likes it, I'm flattered. If someone doesn't like it, and has a thoughtful reason that's my opportunity to perhaps learn something.

We are not validated by the opinions of others. We validate our existence by being. Others are free to observe and comment.

BTW, I finally took a look at your work and I must say I'm very impressed. In your avatar you look to be quite young, but your work is very mature.

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You lucky man, you. What a spectacular find! I would love to her in a modern glamour set. She's about perfect. The heavily processed pic is cool, but somehow the placement of the grass bunch bothers me a little. Besides that, I love it, esp the last version.

19. i like her arm :)