Spur of the moment shot of my little girl

Discussion in 'People' started by Bubba, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    My daughter and I were at my parents' this past weekend. The wind was kicking up at around 20mph steadily so getting any shots of my daughter that weren't likenesses of Cousin It were difficult. We had gone riding to get some shots of the wildflowers around that area and I decided to get a picture of her with one of my mom's irises when we came back. It was totally coincidental that the impromptu shot here was of her in an outfit the same color as the flowers :D

I haven't done anything but crop and resize this one. I really need to do some work on the background but haven't had time. I still wanted to share the picture though. She absolutely love flowers so this was the only time that she was actually HAPPY to have her picture taken.

[​IMG]

2. It's amazing how closely the color of the flower matches your daughters top. The lighting is spotty but otherwise a cute capture of your daughter. I carry around a diffuser for just such occasions and have my wife or bystander help me by holding it over the subject. One other thing as long as I am on a roll, I am not crazy about shooting down on a subject and feel the image could be improved by getting down to her level. Hope you don't mind me making these suggestions Bubba. You have a cute daughter and with just a few minor changes it would show her to better advantage.

3. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the pointers, Gordon. I appreciate it.

This was one of those "too cute to miss" moments. I usually try to get on her level (usually sitting in the floor with her) but I didn't take the time this time. I agree about the light. Unfortunately for me, the irises in this shot are under an 80+ year old oak. Normally, she'd have been in full shade and I could compensate but the wind was blowing so hard, the light was constantly in and out through holes.

I'm still hoping to get my hands on a D70 or D2H in the fairly near future...and a few extras (including that diffuser you mentioned).

Again, thanks for the hints. I'm here to learn!!! :D

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    What a precious shot! she really is a cutiepie! Lets see more of those kiddie pics!

5. Awwwwwwe!!! Her shirt matches the flower. I guess that was the idea, huh? Cute shot Brandon!! :D :D :D

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Perfectly captured expression

Looks like she's wearing a big 'ol matching flower hat!

7. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks, Bryan and Steve.

Her final position for the shot was truly serendipitous. I didn't even know the purple irises were in bloom when I dressed her that morning :)

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    What a cute shot! I agree with Gordon's 'shoot kids from their level' rule, but being as how this was an accidental juxtaposition, your 'looking down on her' perspective couldn't be helped. And the color match is really special!

9. Gordon makes a great point on "getting down to the level" when shooting kids. It is a superb general rule. But in this case I don't think the shot would "work" nearly as well if you followed that rule. To me a lot of the "cuteness" is the positioning of the flower over head, appearing to be a hat. I think you would lose that. Which is why, in my humble opinion, the "rules" are great starting points :D .

Then again, with kids, often times to have no choice if you are trying to catch as they move, eh?

Nice image, and fortuitous use of color. Much easier than doing it in PS :wink:

10. What a little cutie you have there, Bubba!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera