Squash - does this pop?

The player in colour contacted me to ask if he could use a couple of my pics in a package that he was putting together for potential sponsors. I agreed and thought it would be cool to try and really make him pop in the shots. This was one of the ideas that I had. Let me know what you think.

i-2TcKBk9-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, in Aperture 3, I did a black and white conversion using a green filter. This converted the entire image to black and white. I then selectively erased that black and white conversion over his body using different size brushes as appropriate. It takes a bit of time and patience to do it well but I bet it only took me 15 mins to do it for this shot.

I just tried to make myself very small in the front of the court. I also wore a helmet.

Actually, the court is glass and there is a small window in the front of the court that you can shoot through. This was taken with my Sigma 50 mm1.4. Looks like I am on court but I am not!

Nice idea....But......Does he look greenish?.Especially his legs looks light green to me.Of course this could be Doctor Brennan seconds before he transform into the Hulk and it explains all..:wink:
Mac users use Isplash for this.Cost 79 cent and do the job in minutes.

Please understand that my comment is NOT mend offensive.

I know that shooting Squash is dangerous for the photographer,and the ball always hits you on places you're not wearing protection.A idea...Knowing its cheating,but why not make a shoot while they play "shadow" ball? (playing without ball). With a little acting and directing you make real convincing shots for sponsor purpose.

Or let him shoot pingpong or soft rubber balls towards you. No one knows and very less painful for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to show how quick it works.Made this one between the previous post in the early hours of the morning with only one coffee.two cigarets and no breakfast.Done in 15 or so minutes.
Before
_DSC4487.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and after
View attachment 911093

ISpash eh?

Seems like cheating to me,but for .79 cents, I may have to buy it.

As for greenish legs, you may well be right. Skin tones are very hard for me, being colour deficient. The lighting was difficult and the floor was red...created lots of issues.

Thanks for the great info though!

For whatever it's worth, the quick selection tool in Photoshop allows you to create a selection of an athlete very quickly. It is context sensitive. You can create a selection in seconds. :smile:

Yeah, this pops. I do concur with the color cast on his skin, but otherwise it's a cool shot! Nice job!

This can also be done in NIK Silver Efex 2 as well. You perform your black and white conversion, then you use control points and adjust the sliders that bring back the color where you want it.

Just my .2 cents but you have a great picture and the desaturation takes away from it.
If it were mine, I would crop a little tighter, bump the clarity and vibrance and that would be perfect.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom