1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Squeaking Beast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spencer313, Aug 16, 2009.

1. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

My 28-70/2.8, The Beast, started making an occasional squeak whilst auto-focussing.

How long do I have till the motor dies?

I guess The Beast is going to get a Melville vacation soon.

2. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    My 17-35 came new in the box with the "squeak" (how does that get past QC?). However, it was a very good copy (sharp), so I decided to keep it. It worked fine for about a year, and then the focus seemed to slow down a little. Sent it off to El Segundo, and it came back better than new....literally.

So it may last for quite a while, but definitely get it fixed under the warranty, because it ain't cheap.

Good luck!

3. Now old is your lens Spencer?

4. $1700+ and it squeaks?

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I totally agree...you spend that much money you should have them look at it.

6. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Folks, this is an old lens. I bought it used about 3-4 years ago. I may send it in along with my 17-35mm preemptively. We'll see what happens. I just can't do it immediately, as there is too much going on to be without it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.