1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Squeaky Beast: 28-70/2.8 squeaks while focusing

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I just picked up a PRISTINE 28-70/2.8 off of craigslist for $300. The problem is that it squeaks loudly when focusing from near to infinity. I am sending it off to Nikon Repair tomorrow, but I am curious if any of you have had the same problem. If so, any idea on what it will cost to fix my Squeaky Beast?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. My 17-35/2.8 squeaks once if you haven't used it for a while, but then stops. The Squeaky Beast keeps on squeaking.

2. Sounds like a faulty AF-S motor. Even if it costs another $300 to get it fixed, it's a bargain.

3. Completely agree. I don't really need this lens, but it was too good a deal to pass up. Interestingly, as I was leaving I met another Cafe member driving into the driveway!

4. The joys of AF-S.

Give me a nice reliable screwdriver lens any day I say.

5. gorbuchul

gorbuchul Guest

Mine made that sound first time I ever shot it with. It was brandnew out of the box then. It went away within the first 20 shots.
    I've read that some people have it, when the lens comes out of the cold.

If it does not disappear after some action in normal room temperature it is the well known AFS-syndrome and you should renew the motor as advised here.

Kind regards

6. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Nice pick up Craig. I was too late to respond back to his email.

7. Good score

Nice grab Craig. Sometimes a deal is just too good to pass on. :smile:

8. Craig,

I recently purchased an 80-200 f/2.8 AFS from the cafe that was minty and when it arrived to me it squealed pretty loud. I contacted the seller and he mentioned that he never had an issue but that the lens had been unused for quite some time. I little searching around the web revealed that some of these AFS motors will squeal if they sit for some time without being used or they might indeed be going south. I found a thread on some forum where a person said to turn on the camera with the lens cap on and start releasing the shutter which will force the lens to try and focus from minimum to infinity back and forth. I did just that for about 20 times and the squeal got lower and lower and its completely gone. I have had the lens for over a month and only use it on the weekends for kids sports and it focuses fast and quiet. Just thought it might be worth a try and if it still squeaks then it might need to be serviced.

oh, I took about 60 shots around the house before I tried the cap trick and it squealed the entire time. Something about the constant focusing back and forth that did the trick in 20 shots and now its gone.

9. Thanks Edrod,

I just tried your trick for about 100 shots. But the sound didn't diminish at all. I think a new AF-S motor is going to be needed.

Craig

10. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Wow Craig what a deal, I'm sorry to hear about the squeaking however.

My friend has a 80-200/2.8 AFS which does exactly the same thing so I guess AFS faults aren't that uncommon.

11. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    If for some strange reason I don't use mine for three months or so, it will screech. Mine limbers right up, though. :biggrin:

12. Bill, what a great screen name and avatar. I should have thought of it!

My 17-35 squeaks once if it sits for a week or so. But that's it. This 28-70 SQUEALS even after 100 shots. It definitely needs some work.

Craig

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.