Squirrel

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Johntu, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    I found this cute little guy looking for food. Here are the few shots of him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nikon D70 ,Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    1/30s f/8.0 at 280.0mm with Kenko pro 300 1.4x

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now that is a cute guy John. Good images too. :wink:

3. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Thanks a lot for the input, Frank ;-)

4. Awwww, adorable! Nice work, John.

5. I like the 2nd one the best -- well done plus the squirrel looks like he is posing for his portrait !! (The 3rd one is a bit blurred?)
    What kind of squirrel is this anyway???

6. I am not sure what you call it in the USA but over in the UK it is called a Grey Squirrel. They were introduced into the UK from America and are now considered as a pest. We have about 4 who visit our bird feeders in the garden. I also have to say that gamekeepers and farmers will shoot them in quite large numbers and there is a move afoot to have a really a massive cull in various part of the country in an effort to reintroduce our native Red Squirrel to certain areas of the UK.
    Our native species is in rapid decline because of the Grey Squirrel and there are a number of organisations who want they back.

Best wishes. Bob F

7. Bob, the UK probably got an influx of the Eastern Grey Squirrel (in exchange for the House Sparrow, LOL!!) which has a white underbelly. This photo's reddish squirrel is more like the western Douglas Squirrel except I can't really judge its size from these photos. In the east we have a reddish-bellied Fox Squirrel but it is fairly large. I've seen some little Red Squirrels up in Maine -- if ours are like yours, they are very vocal, cheeky little fellows that I always enjoy.

8. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    I have no idea what it is called here but this one looks gray to me :)

[​IMG]