sReala question

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Chris C, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I've been using this new sReala curve for the past few days and have only found one thing I'm not real happy with. I notice there seems to be more noise than I'm used to. I noticed in my photo data that the long exposure noise reduction is turned off. I don't have any idea if it was off or on before downloading the curve. And, I'm not sure what things I can change manually without affecting the results of the curve. Is that something I can change? Can anyone tell me where I can go to find information on what I can and can't change?

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I am using the sReala_V2 curve and have not experienced more noise with it. What ISO were these shots taken with? If you post a picture with the EXIF data in it that might help.

3. Ken, I used an ISO of 200. As far as posting pictures and data, I can't do that yet...........haven't set up a site. Since you use this curve, can you answer my question about changing settings?

4. Jim Parson

Jim Parson Guest

Chris...

Chris, I'm using the new sReala_V2 as well. My noise reduction has remained off both before and after.
    I haven't noticed any change in noise, but I haven't tested for it either.

Also - my testing has been VERY limited so far; just casual shots inside and outside the house.

I don't really have anything specific to report, just that I really like the overall "look" of the sReala_V2 images.

hth

Jim

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Chris,

The Noise Reduction setting shouldn't have any influence unless you expose for 1/2 second and longer.

I've also loaded the sReala curve into my D70 to see how it works. Today I gave it some test shots, comparing between:

1. sReala curve loaded
    2. Tone comp set to Normal
    3. Tone comp set to lowest
    4. Tone comp set to Medium+ (I don't remember the setting, as I haven't got the camera next to me)

The histogram is quite interesting - it shows significant differences between shots using the curve and shots with other settings. I haven't been able to explore the results in detail, but one conclusion I can make:

Setting no. 3 gives the least shadows at the extreme end (well, this is rather expected, I guess). This would be the best for post-processing, as nearly no detail is lost (particularly not in the shadow area).

However, the sReala curve does give a very nice rendering out of the box, but with less shadow detail. This could explain the higher noise you see, as noise affects primarily shadows.

I'm actually most curious to see if there are ways to restore a linear or "normal" tone curve in NC after using either the sReala curve or one of the settings. In other words, is the RAW data being influenced by the tone curve settings, producing different results/pictures with different Tone Comp settings?

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd be most happy to hear.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Well, I just found the answer in another post, where Chris101 explains it. The curve can be changed in NC ad-hoc, via Advanced Raw menu under Tone Comp.

Now I still have a question: Can I load the sReala custom curve into NC to use it on images I have shot without this curve (e.g. Tone Comp set to Normal or Low)? If yes, how?

I couldn't find a dialog in NC where I can load the ???.ntc custom curve, except in Nikon Camera Control.

I ought to work a little harder on my learning curve, I guess. :oops:

Regards,

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Once you load the curve into Nikon Capture, you can also save it and then apply it to other shots. In NC you can also have it batch process files using the settings from one photo that has the curve and other settings.

8. tamachan

tamachan Guest

I believe if you take this approach, the new curve would be applied over the existing curve.

Currently, it is my belief that the only way to avoid this after the fact would be to use Rawmagik, which allows you to replace/adjust curves freely.

Then again, I could be wrong... Iliah? Ohhhh Iliah??

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    If you process with Nikon software, it appliues decompression curve, then camera curve ("more".."normal".."less" or custom), and then all other curves from Capture curve editor panes.

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Iliah, does your answer imply that using the sReala curve INSIDE the camera DOES make a permanent difference, i.e. a difference I can't get to using NC and applying the sReala curve during post-processing?

I assumed that shooting RAW would allow me to change basically all settings (except exposure settings) later on in NC.

Would appreciate your help.

11. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Heiko,

in-camera curve can not be (easily) emulated in Nikon Capture, as Capture curves are applied in gamma = 2.2 space, while in-camera curves are applied to lionear data. I used linear edit of the lower half of your image, and it is difficult to do the same in conventional non-linear gamma space.