sRGB is unacceptable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jklofft, Sep 28, 2005.

1. <rant on>
    Web-based presentation really needs to improve, starting with sRGB. It really stinks to spend time processing and image and then seeing it get destroyed during the conversion to sRGB. All of the subtle colors are lost. Given the state of technology, this is really unacceptable.
    <rant off>

Ok, now I feel better…

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I have been postign most of my images in ADOBE rgb for the web and can see a little differnece but I figure why change it

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, I agree it kinda stinks to have to limit ourselves to sRGB for web viewing, but I also think posting Adobe RGB images on the web is a mistake. Do you expect people to save your images to their computer and view them in an ICC-aware application? If not, then the Adobe RGB images will look worse in the web browser than a copy converted to sRGB will look. I think that when most people who complain about their pictures not looking as good when they post them on the web it's because they didn't properly convert them to sRGB first.

(I do realize there's supposed to be at least one Mac web browser that's ICC-aware but you have to consider that most of the people viewing your images will be doing so from a PC).

5. I hear you but I took my lead from Ron Reznick who posts all his web images in adobe nor srgb.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. I do not think Ron Reznick always posts in adobe RGB. I just opened one of his images from the car show and it was posted in sRGB. As I recall, Ron points out in his text when he has posted in adobe RGB.

8. This is my point exactly. Why are we accepting this substandard standard!

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  10. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I tend to agree with Jeff Kohn.

I'd also add that the issue ignores the simple fact that you have zero control over how your images may look on someone else's monitor. It's not about the colorspace it's about how people have or, in the vast majority of cases, have not set up their monitor. At most you can hope some have set the brightness and contrast, but can almost guarantee that very, very few have done any form of calibration for color.

It's bad enough that every morning when I go to work I have to reset the brightness and contrast on the monitors because my night techs haven't realized that the CRTs take a while to warm up. They therefore pump up the brightness and turn down the contrast. How they then sit and watch those monitors for the next 10 to 12 hours I do not know.

While many of us here may at least have run Adobe Gamma, if not actually properly calibrated with a spider of some kind, I'm certain that no one outside our small world has done anything of the kind. For all we know when someone looks at an online image, a color we know to be bright red may well be seen on their screen as dark purple (I have encountered this). In those circumstances, you can post it in the fanciest colorspace imaginable and they could be using a colorspace aware browser, but it would make no difference.

This doesn't even begin to account for the variations in the ability of various monitors to reproduce colors, contrast, sharpness, etc. I got an incredible shock when I switched from the crappy CRT 17" monitor that was calibrated to the best of my abilities using Adobe Gamma (yes, yes, a spider is still on my LONG wish list) to my 19" LaCie LCD.

I do understand the desire to have as much control as possible over how an image is displayed and maybe colorspace-aware browsers would help that, but don't fool yourself into believing it would even come close to solving the problem. :Depressed

Neil

11. Probably because we have no choice and the difference, if there is one, is minimal at best. A properly converted sRGB image looks best on the web IMHO.

12. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Longhorn/Vista seems to take care of this, offering colour-savvy IE version. Prepare to upgrade. Will probably cost money. But chances are we will have just a new version of IE as well. What I do not understabd is why third-party PC browsers do not use some colour library to get to colour management.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. I've heard that if you're using a Mac that it doesn't matter what color space you're using, but most of the world in Windows based. If you want Windows users to see your best image, then you have to convert to the sRGB color space.

All I can say is all these different formats one has to use for the web, printing, archiving. etc. is driving me (and my hard drive nuts). :BlueHair:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. I did an experiment a couple of months ago when I used PS's "Save for the web" function. After I saved an image for the web this way I found that my color space was whatever I had been using not sRGB. Anybody else tried this?

15. I'm hopeful that Iliah is correct about Longhorn/Vista being profile-aware. But, how many of the general public will upgrade in any timely fashion?

Also, as Neil said, that will still leave the issue of uncalibrated monitors.

Best wishes,

David

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Poor Ron!

It is really too bad that his photographs always look so drab.........

17. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I always post in SRGB

Because I shoot in SRGB. For my business and customers it makes the most sense (event based photography). I also shoot JPG. I guess I take color with a grain of salt when viewing others photos on the internet because of the different color spaces, capture devices, etc.

That makes the minority! LOL