sRGB vs AdobeRGB

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Keis, May 29, 2007.

1. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    I understand that sRGB is a smaller gamet, more standard and for the web and AdobeRGB is for high end printing. That out of the way I have a question.

If I am shooting NEF with my D2X can I change the colorspace in Nikon Capture after the fact (back and forth between the two color spaces) or is what I set on the D2X lock in the color space. Clearly it does lock in for jpegs but RAW?

2. fishlips

fishlips

Apr 20, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Unclear about NX, but this can be done in Photoshop with ease. Be sure to understand the difference between "convert" and "assign" when changing color spaces.

3. Ken, while it's possible to change color spaces back and forth, I'm not sure what it does to the underlying pixels...not sure if you lose detail every time you switch.

I work exclusively in aRGB (it's set in camera, in ACR, and in PSCS3). The only time I use sRGB is for posting to the web. My printer (WHCC) takes the aRGB embedded profile for printing, so I get richer colors than possible from the local printer (who only accepts sRGB).

4. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    color spaces

I don't think you have any problems with the pixels. The Actual captured Color space (gamat) is a blob and sRGB, Adobe RGB etc are all just varying cut outs of that domain. I found the writeup in one of my Adobe books on color management very informative.

You mention WHCC. I've been using MPIX.com and they require jpeg sRGB for their input...as they say "no exceptions" So potentially WHCC's picture should be better. I'm not clear what aRGB is. Is that another term for Adobe RGB? So you not only get a wider gamat you also are providing 16 bit data to WHCC. I ran some tests about two years ago MPIX vs WHCC and they were about the same (MPIX was a bit more color saturation) but I don't remember sending them anything other then sRGB. Has this changes recently? I presume you are not sending them jpegs?

5. Yes, they are JPGs, but they have the Adobe RGB ICC profile embedded...I capture the images in my D200 in aRGB (Adobe RGB), process them in PSCS3 as 16-bit aRGB files, then "Save As..." as a JPG, but I make sure that the ICC profile is embedded. NOTE: If you do a "Save for Web..." in PSCS3 the default is to convert to sRGB...so I do a "Save As...".

And yes, I think it is a recent change that WHCC accepts JPG files in other color spaces...whatever you can embed they will accept...

I took the same file, processed both (the WHCC file was processed in the aRGB color space and saved as an aRGB JPG, the MPIX file was processed and saved in sRGB), and then sent them to each processor. The WHCC file was superior for me in color, but the MPIX file was superior in B+W (they have a wonderful B+W paper that really excels). But this was my experience...YMMV.

John

6. Hmmm.... Anyone want to elaborate on that. I think I know the answer but it's nice to know for sure.

7. From the PSCS3 Help:

You can change the color profile for a document in the following ways:

1. Assign a new profile. The color numbers in the document remain the same, but the new profile may dramatically change the appearance of the colors as displayed on your monitor.

2. Remove the profile so that the document is no longer color-managed.
    (Acrobat, Photoshop and InDesign)

3. Convert the colors in the document to the color space of a different profile. The color numbers are shifted in an effort to preserve the original color appearances.

8. Ahah! I should be converting for web display not assigning. I thought something was goofy.

9. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    8bit aRGB?

This brings up an interesting intermediate file assignment. I guess in order of quality bottom to top.

1. sRGB 8bit jpeg
    2. aRGB 8bit jpeg
    3. aRGB 16 bit tiff/pnc/raw

I wonder if you have problems with #2 in anything but perceptual intent? I think you would have out-of-gamut problems with #2 in colormetric intent.

I've used and liked #1 with MPIX and am about to skip to #3 with my soon to arrive Epson 3800.

10. I was under the impression that no printers used Adobe color space. (not talking inkjets) Are there new printers that will print in Adobe space?