SS United States

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by DanWhite, Sep 9, 2005.

1. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Hello all, this is a shot of the rusting hulk USS United States. She is mored in the delaware rivver in South Philadelphia.

As for the picture, I processed it Nikon Capture and PS. Doing the tinting in Capture and adding some noise for an older look.

here is some information about the ship from the ssunitedstates.org Website

"The SS United States was the brainchild of one of the world's foremost marine architects, William Francis Gibbs. His dream was to build a passenger ship that was faster, safer and more technologically advanced than anything else afloat. It was truly a construction project that challenged conventional thinking. In 1952, his dream became a reality when the SS United States crossed the North Atlantic in 3 days, 10 hours and 42 minutes averaging 35.59 knots (65.48 km/hr or 40.96 mph). The design characteristics encompassing the United States read straight out of a James Bond novel, many remaining classified by the Navy well into the late 70's"

2. Nice capture!
    What a Regal Lady she was, I remember her well...

3. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Dan,

Where is she tied up?

I fondly remember the battleships in the Navy Yard. Several cruisers too. Great sight when flying in or out of PHL.

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Mike,

She is tied up Just north of Oragan and delaware ave's in Philadelphia. The naval yard is nothing more than a ghost fleet now. and the funny thing is there are 3 out of the 4 ships I served on when I was in the marine corps there in mothballs. (the other was sunken in the Keys as an artificial reef)

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005