SSD in my MBP

I put a 256 GB Crucial C300 SSD in my Duo Core MBP last night. All I can say is wow computer boots in seconds and the apps load instantly. PS took less than 3 seconds to load.
I put the machine thorugh some intense secnarois last night with no hiccups, no beachballs, sleep/hibernation issues.
I did a fresh install of OSX on the new SSD. ant then restored my previous hard drive via a full time machine backup, and then applied whatever new OS updates were out there.
I have ordered the Optibay kit to place my orginal hard drive where the superdrive currently is located. In this kit you also get a USB 2.0 enclosure for your superdrive. I will be installing this tommorow when the kit arrives. Thsi was I can keep the OS and apps on the SSD and use the 2nd hard drive for data storage.

Mike,
I'm interested in installing one of these myself.
Do you have a part number for the SSD?

Thanks,
Cabin

I put a 256 GB Crucial C300 SSD in my Duo Core MBP last night. All I can say is wow computer boots in seconds and the apps load instantly. PS took less than 3 seconds to load.
I put the machine thorugh some intense secnarois last night with no hiccups, no beachballs, sleep/hibernation issues.
I did a fresh install of OSX on the new SSD. ant then restored my previous hard drive via a full time machine backup, and then applied whatever new OS updates were out there.
I have ordered the Optibay kit to place my orginal hard drive where the superdrive currently is located. In this kit you also get a USB 2.0 enclosure for your superdrive. I will be installing this tommorow when the kit arrives. Thsi was I can keep the OS and apps on the SSD and use the 2nd hard drive for data storage.
Do you have any stat apps running ? I'd be really curious to know how hot things are getting in your MBP chasis with that configuration. I'd also love to know how this is going to affect your battery life vs now. I was thinking about doing what you did, but it's reported that new iMacs are coming in May.. so I'll likely wait and see.

Doug

Great to hear, Mike. My MPB will be three in November and I was toying with replacing it this fall. My dad got a previous gen MacBook Air with a SSD around Christmas...man that little bugger is fast! Boots in 16 seconds. I am pretty sure that I will keep my MBP and throw a SSD in it. I'm on the fence about ditching the optical drive, but the SSD plus mechanical drive for data would be sweet.

Do you have any stat apps running ? I'd be really curious to know how hot things are getting in your MBP chasis with that configuration. I'd also love to know how this is going to affect your battery life vs now. I was thinking about doing what you did, but it's reported that new iMacs are coming in May.. so I'll likely wait and see.

Doug
I do not have any stat apps running I installed the second hard drive in the optibay yesterday with little problems, I needed to help tow of thes screws in to the Optibay replacment where the bluetooth module connects.
It ruuns like a charm and I put it through my Sports workflow involving ingest through Photo Mechanic and then into LR3 for cropping and color correction and then expoerted several ways for uploadig to differnet places. It works liek a charm.
Great to hear, Mike. My MPB will be three in November and I was toying with replacing it this fall. My dad got a previous gen MacBook Air with a SSD around Christmas...man that little bugger is fast! Boots in 16 seconds. I am pretty sure that I will keep my MBP and throw a SSD in it. I'm on the fence about ditching the optical drive, but the SSD plus mechanical drive for data would be sweet.
It is a nice setup Mason, I very rarely use my superdrive but one che backordrered enclousre gets here I will just carry it in my bag.
I put an owc ssd on my Mac Book Pro when I bought it in August - runs like it is brand new.
The OS loads and apps load so fast off the SSD.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom