SSD - Samsung 840 256GB or other?

Had a Sandisk 128gb SSD that just crapped out on me and looking to replace it. Was thinking of the Samsung 840 or Samsung 840 Pro but am open to other options. Heard that the speed improvement in the pro is not worth the extra money, any opinions on that?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have these (Crucial M4 256GB SSD) as the C: drive in two of my i7 machines. They seem to do the job perfectly and they were quite cheap. However I have not looked at comparisons recently. I wanted 256 and not the little 128GB drives as my C: drives have quite a lot on them and I like to plan to keep devices for 10 years.

I have the Samsung 840 500Gb SSD in my Thinkpad T400. No installation issues and I was able to partition it in Windows 7. Battery life has improved and it is quieter because the fan does not run low like it did most of the time with the HD. Yes it does boot much faster and Lightroom opens the raw files much quicker. For me it added years to my old laptop and I will probably transfer it to my next one or use it for backup. I feel it was money well spent.
Pete

Same here. I immediately replaced the stock hard drive on my new Asus laptop with a Samsung 840 250GB SSD. The included Samsung Data Migration Tool and Samsung Magician software made it a breeze to clone existing drive and optimizing the SSD for my Windows 8 environment.

And did I say it's very fast!? Takes 7 seconds for Windows 8 to load after pressing the power button :smile:

Don't know as I have not upgraded yet.

But from what I have read the 840 is thought of as reliable and pretty good. Another contender would seem to be the OCZ Vertex 4 at least in a couple of reviews. Although there have been a number of reports about reliability and failure but this could be due to problems with the Vertex 3?

Have a look at a few tested here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...-the-top-ssds-on-test-994095/1#articleContent

I have these (Crucial M4 256GB SSD) as the C: drive in two of my i7 machines. They seem to do the job perfectly and they were quite cheap. However I have not looked at comparisons recently. I wanted 256 and not the little 128GB drives as my C: drives have quite a lot on them and I like to plan to keep devices for 10 years.
+1

I have read that the Crucial and Corsair SSD's tend to be some of the most reliable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same here. I immediately replaced the stock hard drive on my new Asus laptop with a Samsung 840 250GB SSD. The included Samsung Data Migration Tool and Samsung Magician software made it a breeze to clone existing drive and optimizing the SSD for my Windows 8 environment.

And did I say it's very fast!? Takes 7 seconds for Windows 8 to load after pressing the power button :smile:
Glad to hear. Ordered a Samsung 840 Pro 250 SSD should be here in a day or two.

Yes I did realize that. I decided to go with the pro for its slightly better performance as I got a good deal on it.

Put the Samsung 840 Pro in my PC today and it is screaming. Also found out that I had my old SSD hooked to a 3gig SATA port rather than a 6 gig port. Switched that too, feels like a brand new computer.

Well I put the Samsung 840 Pro SSD in the system and after a few issues in getting the setup just right the system is screaming. I was debating just buying a new system, but this thing just makes it rock. The old hard drive I was running on gave an experience index of 5.4 while the SSD has it at 7.9 which is the max.

Well I put the Samsung 840 Pro SSD in the system and after a few issues in getting the setup just right the system is screaming. I was debating just buying a new system, but this thing just makes it rock. The old hard drive I was running on gave an experience index of 5.4 while the SSD has it at 7.9 which is the max.
Good deal. It's funny how an SSD can make even an older machine feel like new again huh? :smile: Enjoy!

I build PCs as a side job, I stand by the reliability of the Samsung, Crucial and Plextor products. I currently have 8 Samsung SSDs 3 Crucial SSDs and 4 Plextor SSDs in use in my personal systems. Their RMA processes are very simple (damaged a few when a computer was dropped by the shipper).

Samsung SSDs have actually been proven out to over 725tb of data being moved across them

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom