Sssssssssnake

I think it's just a Northern watersnake

but he was cool looking and just was chillin on a lillypad!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a Massasauga rattlesnake. You can tell it is poisonous by its elliptical shaped eye. All non-poisonous snakes in the USA have round pupils except the Coral Snake.

Paul, you are a very brave man for getting this shot. If I came upon this creature, I would be gone like a cool breeze on a summer's day.

I may be wrong be I believe that this snake is being considered to be added to the Federal endangered species list so please do not kill one if you spot another. :smile:

Tom

I may be wrong be I believe that this snake is being considered to be added to the Federal endangered species list so please do not kill one if you spot another. :smile:

Tom
I think you are right. I read online that Michigan is one of their last strong holds.

yes - I was just on the Michigan DNR page and found an observation report to fill out etc

Status: Special Concern, it is protected by the State of Michigan and is a candidate for federal listing
never realized how rare that is - makes me feel even better about being able to see one!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom