St.Augustine Alligator Farm shoot..

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I had the distinct pleasure, honor and privilege to shoot with the legends of the bird forum here... Harry B and Mike Mac. My dad and I drove up to Harry and Linda's house monday after work. Those who have met them before know what great people they are, and those that dont hopefully one day will get to meet them. We left the next afternoon to meet Mike Mac for a late afternoon shoot, then stayed over night and shot again in the morning. After the afternoon shoot it was dinner, hit the shower, then chimp to some wine and cigars. The Alligator Farm Rookery is just awesome. Some nests are too close to shoot, close enough to pet the birds. (we didnt pet them)

I have the least mp's and mm's of the group so have to make all 4 of my megapixels work overtime to keep up with the big guns I was shooting with..:Guns::Guns:

Here are a few of my shots...

original.

original.

[​IMG]

taken with the old D100 handheld at 500mm's:
    original.

original.

original.

couple of hungry chicks..
    original.

a Snowy showing off breeding plumage:
    original.

I've culled over 800 shots to around 325, but plan to knock that down to 200 and hopefully less.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Harris. Good to see you posting.

3. I agree, excellent set. The chick shots are very nice captures.

Louie

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are fantastic images Harris, I cannot stop staring at the action that you caught. Thanks for sharing, it is always a pleasure to see you post on the Cafe.

5. Harris,

you posted more here than on DPR. Amazing shots.

Lil

6. Wonderful images, Harris.... excellent job. Yes, it does look like you could have pet them - talk about close!

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good shots Harris! Considering that when there wasn't a camera in your hand you were hitting the sauce on those days I'm amazed that these shots are so sharp. :wink:

It was great shooting with you again and that Cuban was really fine. :Smoking:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Harris
    So glad you went

Come up for the space shot tomorrow night:>))))))))
    Got a seat saved for ya

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Anybody that is a Todd/Utopia fan can't be too bad. :tongue: I really enjoyed your post with the old rocker photos by the way.

These are incredibly sharp and the colors just pop. I love them all!

10. Excellent serie, Harris. The second one is my favorite because of the chick bite.

11. Excellent work Harris. Really thought the one of the mother with her babies are darling.

12. Thanks Melissa, I like to catch the parent/chick interactions

13. Thanks Frank, Louis, Frank, Lil, Sandy, Harry, Gale (birthday girl), Andy, and Dao. :biggrin:

14. Sweet. I always go up there too early in the season, then I'm too lazy to go back! You've applied some good incentive though, great set.

15. Hey Harris you would be considered to armed and dangerous if you had more megapixels then what you have!

Awesome series, makes me wonder why I continue with the D2X's and don't get a 4 MP D2H as well...

16. Thomas, you have 2 hrs less drive than me, GO! :wink:

17. One good thing, the small file sizes are easy and fast to use...:wink:

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What a bounty of great shots. I'm very jealous! Print the one of the Snowy with his wings out 12x18 on your new printer, and make me a copy while you're at it! ;) (might brighten it just a tad for me) :biggrin:

19. Super duper shots Harris!
    It seems yeat another place get added to my TO GO list....

20. Thanks Steve and Nick!