St. Augustine rookery

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Trish5, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    I made my first trip of the season up to St. Augustine rookery yesterday. It was busy enough to keep me happy for a full day of shooting.

I shot 11 gigs of photos and have quickly browsed through them...here are a few I was pleased with. I do need to send my camera in for tweaking because it was not performing as it should have a lot of the time.

All Shot w/ D200 & Nikon 70-200/2.8

Great white egret taking a break from nest building:
    [​IMG]

A Snowy egret displaying:
    [​IMG]

A Cattle egret with lore colors beginning to change:
    [​IMG]

A pair of great egrets enjoying the view after a hard day of nest building:
    [​IMG]

Tri-Colored heron's were plentiful and actively breeding.
    [​IMG]

No chicks anywhere as of yet. Tri-colored had many eggs in nests.

If you live anywhere in Florida, and enjoy shooting these types of birds...don't miss this yearly opportunity. It is spectacular to observe all the action at every phase of breeding and nesting!

2. Those are some Great shots Trish

Winners every one

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super stuff Trish

4. fabulous set of imges Trish!

5. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    I just came in the house from 11 hours working in the cold and the wind. Sometimes when I go from cold to the warm house my teeth feel like thew are going to explode! Nothing is wrong with them it is just some sort of nutty thing going on. I am sitting here at my desk in some degre of PAIN!!!!! Your photos of the water birds just made me feel a lot better.....now where is that BIG bottle of asprin... Lovely shots, well lit and nicely composed. Thanks Robert.

6. Nice Trish long time no see these are fantastic I hope to make it over there the first week in June when I am down in Orlando

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Trish,

Good to see you post some shots after a bit of a break. Very nice ones too. Several of us are contemplating coming down to St. Augustine towards the end of April or early May. I hope that we can get together for some shooting. :smile:

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Stunning images..very sharp!..The 70-200 is a great lens..considered getting one myself but feel it would overlap too much with my 100-300mm f4.. someone tell me it won't lol

9. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for the vote of Confidence:Wink:

10. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Hiya gale,
    Thanks gale. Things should be getting into full swing in the next 3 weeks:biggrin:
    H told me you were without gear..i need to send mine in also, but have lots coming up to shoot and i am afraid they may take too long:frown:

11. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

So sorry about your teeth..switch to using "sensodyne" may help you:wink:
    toothpaste
    Thanks for your kind comments! Always appreciated!

12. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

Hi Mike,

You should be able to catch some oversized chicks at least by then. Still well worth the time & $$.

13. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005

two new granchildren and more grey hairs than I care to count...well worth every one!!

It would be great to hook-up and shoot, I won't be in town the last weekend in April, but all other dates are good. Feels good to get back to some great shooting!

14. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Thank you!..ok...you twisted my arm about the 70-200...it may overlap some but the difference is 70-200VR is hand holdable allowing for tons of versatility,
    The 100-300 is probably great on tripod, and much more limiting. All of the shots I posted are handheld. If I had used a tripod they may have been better. I like the flexibility of moving around in most shooting situations. Now go get yourself one and forget about overlap:Guns:

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Magnificant Trish....you truly captured some lovely birds.

16. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :biggrin: I always handhold the 100-300mm..:tongue:

17. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    I tried:eek:

18. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Thanks, I was certainly feeling very rusty....The passion always brings me back.

19. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :biggrin: You done great believe me..I never need much persuasion when it comes to decent lenses.:cool:

20. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Trish,

What a great set of images! One of these days I'm going to make it down there.