St Mary's Cathedral Basilica of Assumption - Kentucky

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Originally opened as St. Mary's Church in 1837, the first Roman Catholic Church in Covington, by 1895 the St. Mary's Cathedral was nearly complete: the interior being modeled after the Abbey Church of St. Denis in Paris while the facade would mirror Notre Dame de Paris. Built in the 13th Century French-Gothic style, and constructed of Indiana limestone, the Cathedral's interior shines with beautiful appointments. Among them, 82 hand-poured stained glass windows crafted in Munich Germany, including the 24-foot wide by 67-foot tall window in the north transept, one of the largest in the world. Two rose windows (each being 26 ft. in diameter) grace the west and south clerestory and are modeled after those in Notre Dame Cathedral.

My D850 wasn't focusing properly so I relied on my D5. The interior is so tall, I couldn't get photos showing the scale of the stained glass walls without incurring serious parallax distortions. I'd love to go back and try again.... LOL!

_D5A7473_77-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 A view of a portion of the left wall
_D5A7445_49_Crop-X2.jpg

#3 The 24 by 67 foot stained glass window on the north wall
_D5A7424_30-X3.jpg

#4 A close up of one the many mosaic panels on the left and right walls
_D5A7468-X2.jpg

#5 The organ and the 26 foot rosary window above it
_D5A7437_43-X3.jpg

#7 The rear of the church
_D5A7410_16-X3.jpg

#7 The 26 foot rosary window at the rear of the interior
_D5A7508-X3.jpg

#8 An attempt to convey the scale of the interior. This is the front of the left wall and the altar area...
_D5A7487_92-X2.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
That is an amazing cathedral in any part of the world! Nice set to show a place not many of us will ever get to.
I didn't expect to find this in Kentucky! LOL! Thanks so much for commenting!

I was really out of sorts that morning.

After we parked and opened the trunk of the car, I realized my tripod and ball head were missing!!!!!! OOOPS! I must have left it in the Cincinnati City Hall the prior afternoon (I was hot and exhausted....and obviously not thinking....!) . So we had no choice but to jump in the car and find our way back across the river to the Cincinnati City Hall. They had found my tripod and stored it for me. WHEW!!!!

Secondly, my main camera was not focusing, so I had to use my wildlife camera. Third, the place is sooooooo high and ornate, it was hard to create any images without parallax distortions. 3 to 4 stories of stained glass, etc. I'd love to go back - IF - I could get permission to shoot from the upper levels!

So....I felt really rushed since we had a 275 mile drive to get home that day! Thankfully, hubby was very patient as I tried to get a few images.

JLH

When I saw your pictures my first thought was: "Wow, what a beautiful space". My second thought was: "Why does this look familiar?". Back some twenty years ago when I was teaching at a college in Cincinnati one of my well healed co-workers' daughter got married there. Big wedding! Dad was in the medical field and quite "well off" and really sent his daughter off with a bang. Its really an awesome place to be inside of. You really feel you are in a "real" church! The organ is wonderful and can shake you in your seat.
Thanks for posting these, they bring back some wonderful memories.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
When I saw your pictures my first thought was: "Wow, what a beautiful space". My second thought was: "Why does this look familiar?". Back some twenty years ago when I was teaching at a college in Cincinnati one of my well healed co-workers' daughter got married there. Big wedding! Dad was in the medical field and quite "well off" and really sent his daughter off with a bang. Its really an awesome place to be inside of. You really feel you are in a "real" church! The organ is wonderful and can shake you in your seat.
Thanks for posting these, they bring back some wonderful memories.
Thank you for commenting! I'd love to go back and attend an organ performance! AND get permission to photograph from the upper level!
A very nice cathedral indeed Karen. And a great set of images, thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Binnur!
Beautiful shots of a beautiful place.
Appreciate the encouragement, Luis!

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Stunning series! The rose window is particularly beautiful.

My parents were married in Covington in 1934, though not in a house of worship. Back then, it was a town with an ample supply of justices of the peace ready to perform the legal act for a fee, no questions asked. Residents of Ohio, just across the river, faced stricter requirements . . . . My parents had met in Sacramento; my father had gone back east, and my mother had returned to her family in Oklahoma. He wrote her from Cincinnati proposing marriage, she got on a train, they crossed the Ohio to Covington, and that was that. He was 37; she was 21.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Stunning series! The rose window is particularly beautiful.

My parents were married in Covington in 1934, though not in a house of worship. Back then, it was a town with an ample supply of justices of the peace ready to perform the legal act for a fee, no questions asked. Residents of Ohio, just across the river, faced stricter requirements . . . . My parents had met in Sacramento; my father had gone back east, and my mother had returned to her family in Oklahoma. He wrote her from Cincinnati proposing marriage, she got on a train, they crossed the Ohio to Covington, and that was that. He was 37; she was 21.
What a beautiful story!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Fantastic series! Cincinnati and Covington really surprised me when I visited there in May. I’m planning to go back during the fall, because for as much as I saw, there was so much that I did not see. - this church, for example!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Fantastic series! Cincinnati and Covington really surprised me when I visited there in May. I’m planning to go back during the fall, because for as much as I saw, there was so much that I did not see. - this church, for example!
Thanks, Lyndee! The Cincinnati City Hall building is AMAZING! But it was closed when we were there. There are beautiful stained glass windows on every floor....and interesting details also. Call ahead. It might be open in September.

The St Peter in Chains Cathedral in on the corner next to the City Hall.

And across the street from St Peter in Chains is the Isaac M Wise Temple. It was closed when I was there, but it is generally open and is SPECTACULAR inside.

So within just a few steps are THREE great destinations. Also, there is a large parking lot nearby also.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom