1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Nik Zinoviev, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Though I've been living in Moscow for the past 8 years and like the city, my heart belongs to St. Petersburg.

I got deep and lasting feelings for this gorgeous and historic city. Its appeareance marked the birth of the glorious Russian empire and the city happened to become the place from which the bolshevik cancer started spreading across the country throwing it into 70-year long abyss of communism. The city that brought to us famous Russian composers and architects, artists and writers and where the Russian emperors found their first and last home.

May be I am in love with this city because it is truly the most European of all the cities in Russia, or may be because it is the most Russian of all the European cities. :smile:

If you like the pictures and want to continue - let me know and I will post more. Any Qs or comments are welcome!

All pictures taken with D200, as far as the glass goes I used 14-24 and 24-70.

Let's kick off with these (click on the pictures to see their full size versions):

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Paul_Fortress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariinsky_Theatre

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolny_Convent

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Savior_on_Blood

2. Beautiful!
    I'm happy to say that I've been luck enough to have visited St. Petersburg and it is one of my favorite cities.
    But I have never seen it presented as well as you have with these photos.

Thanks!
    Don

3. Thank you very much, Don ! Each time I go there, I shows itself somewhat differently. And everytime I go back, its even more beautiful. :smile:

4. paradise

paradise Guest

Have not been there since I was 14 years old and these photos bring me back. I left Russia in 1987 and have not been back. I dont miss my town, but places like this one I would love to visit.

5. Nike, Fantastic photos. Enjoyed all.

6. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    WOW Nik!!! I absolutely love the "Church of the Savior on Blood" photo. Your work is great!

7. What he said!

Marvelous...if you could see, I am applauding!
    Nikolai...your capture of these is quite exciting and refreshing!
    St Peter & St Paul Cathedral...lovely
    wonderful perspective in this capture
    Smolny Convent shows the consistency of the Russian design, to me...
    And the onion domes on the Church of the Savior on Blood...
    I am so taken with the designs of these wonderful structures...each building contains so much!
    When you look at the building as a whole everything works to thrill the eye!
    You are bringing out such beauty in your pictures.

I do believe we are all enjoying your work!

Thank you for sharing these with us...
    and yes we will enjoy more, please.

8. Gorgeous photos Nik!

My wife has visited your Saint Petersburg and loved it.

As a side note....I also live in Saint Petersburg which was founded in part by Peter Demens AKA Pyotr Alexeyevitch Dementyev.

My Saint Petersburg:
    [​IMG]

9. Absolutely superb shots, what more can one say, except I would love to see more...

10. Let me show you a series of pics from Peterhof, a place 30 minutes by car outside of St. Petersburg, that was founded by Peter the Great and was used as a residence of Russian tsars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterhof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Survived Well

Hi Nik,

I don't know much about Russian history but I remember seeing pictures of Leningrad during the Nazi siege of World War II. I thought most of the city was destroyed during that period. I'm glad that it survived and its beautiful buildings restored. Your photos are great. Please show us more.

Dave

12. Wonderful Pictures, Nikolai!

And the trees everywhere. I remember this so much in Novogorod.
    Lots of trees...too often cut down for "progress and growth"!
    Wonderful...

13. Amazing shots. Very well done.

14. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Your great images make me want to go back to St. Petersburg.

Many thanks for posting!

15. Nik,

I really enjoyed viewing your photos. They are wonderfully lit and composed. Outstanding work!

Glenn

16. Russia has changed a lot since 1987 - I can tell you that for sure :)  Despite the fact that a lot is yet to be improved, the state and the private sector have been putting more and more money in tourism and related infrastructure. A lot of historic places were renovated over the recent years. But much is still to be done. The country has incredibly rich and long history and there are so many interesting places to see :smile:

17. It is a relatively "young" church. The constuction was finished in 1907 in a spot where a Russian tsar Alexander II was mortally wounded on March 13, 1881 by revolutionaries. He was a great reformer, canceling the existence of serfdom in Russia and introducing a bunch of other major changes in the Russian society. The church is located on Griboedovsky canal, which flows into Neva river. I was lucky that night to have a mirror like surface of the canal enabling me to catch the water reflection of this beautiful building.

18. Thank you, John !:smile:

19. Cheryle, thank you for all your kind words and encouragement !

20. Actually, I have been there in August with my daughter to take pictures of the birds in Florida :)  Nice night cityscape, by the way ! If one looks at the history very-very carefully and deeply, he/she will see that there are more things that unite then divide us. That is the reason why I really hate politics and don't like politicians very much. The overwhelming majority of them (on both sides) did not change their strategy since the times of Julius Ceasar of "divide and rule" and "create an outside enemy to gain power inside the country".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.