Stacking Images in PS CS5?

I have 2 versions of the same image and would like to blend the sky from one version into the other version. I know how to use the brushes in Photoshop in order to erase/blend the sky that I don't want, but I don't know how to load the 2 separate images at the start so that they are each on a separate layer in one new image.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

1) Open both images.
2) If you are using the tabbed interface, drag the tab of one of the images off the tab bar so that the image is open in a separate window.
3) Click in the image in the second window to bring up its layers.
4) Drag the layer for the image over the other image.
5) Close the second window.
Et voila, each image appears as a separate layer in a single file and you can now do your blending magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCcGeT8xRI

AFAIK, Duplicate Layer just copies a layer only into the same image - not one image to another. :confused:

What am I missing?
When you select Duplicate Layer you have a menu that allows you to duplicate the layer into the same file, another open file or a new file. You can also right click the layers icon in the Layers Panel for the same result. Or you can drag and drop as described above.

Lots of options!!:wink:

1) Open both images.
2) If you are using the tabbed interface, drag the tab of one of the images off the tab bar so that the image is open in a separate window.
3) Click in the image in the second window to bring up its layers.
4) Drag the layer for the image over the other image.
5) Close the second window.
Et voila, each image appears as a separate layer in a single file and you can now do your blending magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCcGeT8xRI
When you select Duplicate Layer you have a menu that allows you to duplicate the layer into the same file, another open file or a new file. You can also right click the layers icon in the Layers Panel for the same result. Or you can drag and drop as described above.

Lots of options!!:wink:
Thanks, Guys!

That worked great. I learn something new here everyday! :biggrin:

If you are using bridge, just select them and then bring them in as layers (tools - photoshop), then Edit auto align, then Edit auto blend - three clicks and your done.

If you are using bridge, just select them and then bring them in as layers (tools - photoshop), then Edit auto align, then Edit auto blend - three clicks and your done.
Thanks for that tip, Jeff.

I don't normally use Bridge (I prefer LR), but I gave this a try -- and it works pretty darn good! (Although it takes some measure of masking/brushing control out of your hands.)

Is there anyway to bring photos from LR into Photoshop directly as Layers? It seems that would be a useful function.

AHA! That's what I was trying originally when I couldn't figure out how to do this. I forgot to "Select All".

Thanks!
When you drag the photo on top of the other one, it won't create the new layer until you drop it by releasing the mouse button. To align the layers select both layers by holding the Crtl key (Cmd on Mac) and clicking them. Then select Layer > Align > and choose an option.

Another way to align the layers is to set the opacity of the top layer to about 50% and move it manually. Then return the opacity to 100%.

Open both images. Do a Control A, Control C, Control W, and a Control V.

(That will select all of the one image, save that image to the clipboard, close that image, and then paste that image over the other in a new layer.)

After that you might hold down the alt key and click on the mask icon in the layers window. You will then have that new layer as a black mask and you can paint in those parts you want. Of course, this is just the beginning....

Hope this helps.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom