1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Stacking Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RichNY, Oct 1, 2008.

1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Since selling my Kenko 1.4x TC and replacing it with a Nikon I can no longer stack it with the Nikon 1.7x TC.

Who has done the mod to grind off the tab on the 1.4x to allow it to be stacked? Does anyone have a good link explaining the best way to do the mod?

2. I have the 1.4 that I did the mod on. It will stack with the 2X - TC20EII, but not the 1.7 TC17EII. It's not compatable, will not 'fit' together.

3. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  4. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Thanks for the quick replies.

If I want to stack a 1.4x and 1.7x the only way is to go back to a Kenko 1.4x then?

5. Kenko 1.4x

What was your reason for getting rid of the Kenko 1.4x teleconverter?

Robert

6. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    The 1.7 TC has elements that project beyond the mounting plane and interfere with parts of the other TC's. Same reason (other than light reduction) you can't use Nikon TC's on certain lenses - physical interference. It's WHY Nikon uses that little tab. They don't WANT you to do certain combinations. Even with the 1.4 and 2.0, they can only be used in a specific order (without them in front of me I can't say what it is). They simply don't attach to each other the 'wrong' way.

You CAN grind off the tab with a Dremel tool WITHOUT taking the mounting ring off but take care to mask over the glass and stuff the rest of the TC with tissue - you don't want metal slivers floating around. I did this with a vacuum running as I ground off the tab to suck the particles away. Worked out fine.

The irony is that TC's were the CHEAP way of getting more reach... but they really don't do a great job when you 're starting with a cheap lens and the Nikon TC's are not all that cheap themselves.

Have played around with stacking TC's but realistically, there's little point in doing so. The IQ is pretty bad so unless you're looking for fairly blurry results...... the end result is directly related to the quality of the lens you're using - and I've tried with some pretty good glass - the 70-200 and 200-400. Both are fine with one TC. Two drop the IQ quite a bit. Have also tried the Sigma 1.4 and a modified Nikon TC-20E with the new Sigma 150-500. The 1.4 is 'adequate' but the 2.0 is not worth the effort IMO... You're manually focusing with both.

Once you're using more than one TC.... well, you can see things you might not be able to see otherwise but they're not all that sharp. You're also losing a LOT of light as you stack TC's, bringing you up to f/8 or so a best... you're manually focusing under those conditions and the end result is only as good as your own eyes.......

7. davewales

davewales

Feb 18, 2008
    Wales
    I can see no point in stacking a 1.4 and 1.7 together, surely it would be better to buy the 2.0 ? Personally I wouldn't take a drill to an expensive piece of kit !!!!
    I did try stacking a friends 2.0 with my 1.4 but they didn't seem to want to join and I didn't try too hard as I didn't want to damage anything.
    As yet I haven't tried the 2.0 on my 300mm2.8 for more than a couple of shots. AF seemed to work fine but I do find that in dull light even the 1.7 is not particularly sharp and searches to AF.
    I must admit though, I have been impressed with another friends efforts with a Canon 500mmf4 and the Canon 1.4 & 2.0 stacked together.

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

I owned a Nikon 1.7x and a Kenko 1.4x and when I purchased my 400 f/2.8 it came with a Nikon 1.7x so I swapped it for a forum member's Nikon 1.4x and sold the Kenko.

I was planning on using this with the Nikon 400 f/2.8. My only real use for the extra use was that I found I could still not fill the frame with this lens and a 1.7x TC for the occasional moon shot. For my intended use giving up some sharpness is a better solution than adding a longer lens.[/QUOTE]

The 2.0 would give me less reach and required an additional purchase. Coming from the Canon world I've also seen impressive images using stacked TCs and long glass and thought I'd give making these images a try.

9. Stacking the 1.4 and 2.0 was not his question, but it can be done. The combo will make sharp images when used at very distant subjects, but I was never pleased with less then long distant shots. Again, using Nikon gear, the 1.4 and 1.7 will not stack, period.
    This image was made using a stacked Nikon 1.4 and 2.0 TCEII's on the 300 f2.8 AF-S -

NIKON D2X    ---    600mm    f/7.1    1/160s    ISO 100

10. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Thanks for the info although I'm not thrilled with how things work out. I've either got to mod the 1.4 and buy a 2.0 or get another Kenko 1.4 to use with the 1.7x.

Here are two that I took using my existing gear straight from camera, no sharpening.

D300 & 400 f/2.8
    [​IMG]

D300 & 400 f/2.8 with 1.7x TC
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.