Stalking the Snowy Egret

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 10, 2005.

1. These small shore birds are very wary and very quick to take flight. It's almost impossible to sneak up on them to take their picture.
    But if you find their feeding grounds, and sit quietly, they'll forget you're there, and come back to hunt. And once they're catching
    food, their concentration is so intense that you can photograph them to your heart's content.

I stalked a mature Snowy today, and came home with a cf card full of goodies :).

2. The snowy egret is a beautiful bird. Thanks, I enjoyed these pictures!! :) :) :) :) :)

3. My pleasure, Bryan. Btw, I took these shots with the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AFD... you know, the one on your wish list :lol:.

4. OOOOoooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh..........that's my lens!!!! I asked the "SHE"FO of the Daniel household if I can get one and she said "I thought you were going to get the SB800 first?".................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am running around in circles!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Very nice I liek the 2nd one the best, I have used your technique in stalking many times with success.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Snowy shots UF. These guys are one of my favorite species to shoot as they are very athletic, striking a variety of photogenic poses, and seem to enjoy performing for the camera.

The way you caught and exposed these, especially considering the strong back lighting in several of the shots is very well done.

Regards,

Frank

7. Thanks, Mike. I look at stalking as an alternative to buying long lenses.

8. Yes a pair on New Balance sneakers are a lot cheaper than a 500mm f4 last time I checked.

9. I like them because they're beautiful, and a challenge because of their reflective feathers. I'm not too concerned about small
    areas of clipped highlights because that's the way they appear to me in real life. The bright to dark range of a brightly lit Snowy
    Egret against a dark background is beyond the dynamic range of my eyes!

10. Excellent Frank, your stalking skills paid off big time. Snowy egrets are my very favorite large bird and you have caught them well.

11. Thanks, Gordon! I'd love to stalk with your 300/2.8 on my camera sometime :twisted:.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    These are great U.F.

So, no TC used? Did you have to do much cropping on these, are you spraying yourself with fish scent? :)

13. Hey Frank -

Great shots -- I especially like that "ruffled feather" look that the snowies give occasionally, and you've captured several of them well. I like how you got some good backlight with a darker background as well, which does a great job showing the feather detail.

I hope you get to make a trip to Florida at some point, because you will go insane with all the snowies you can get even with short lenses. They're not quite as skiddish there. :) And occasionally they really show their attitude as well.

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Really nice, Frank.

Thanks,

Gaye