Stand by for Z6s and Z7s . . .

If I could sell my Z6 at a reasonable price in order to reduce the net cost of buying a Z6s, I can see myself doing so to be able to also buy the vertical grip. However, I haven't missed the vertical grip as much as I thought I would miss it, so it's not as high a priority as I thought six months ago it would have been.

I presume the dual EXPEED will improve auto focus?
The higher EVF is interesting but I wonder if it is a higher refresh rate?

Honestly this looks like it is addressing many of the critiques leveled at the first generation which really speaks well for Nikon. But you know there are still gonna be whiners! Just keep pointing them at the glass!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Yikes, I only bout the Z Mk 1 a few months ago!

Super pleased with it so I will not be "upgrading"

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Since I have a Canon R5 and have shot with a Sony A9 II these are the minimum features I would like to see (as a birder)
  • People and Animal Eye AF as good as the Canon R5
  • 120 hz EVF
  • virtually blackout free EVF at 20 fps electronic shutter, with as little rolling shutter as possible (both the R5 and Sony A9 II are pretty good)
  • 10-12 fps mechanical shutter
  • IBIS as good as the R5 with select Z lenses
  • Buffer about the same as the R5 and A9II = 75-100 RAW's
  • CFExpress card slot (dual slots dont really matter to me, but to wedding pros and others it does of course)
  • A real optional grip that can take 2 batteries and one in the body, only Nikon could do that (Canon can only have 2 batteries in the grip and same with Sony nothing in the body when the grip is mounted)
  • Full swivel LCD would be nice - love it on the R5
  • a Z 200-600 F5.6 or F6.3 lens with fast AF
I'm sure there is more on my want list but this would bring Nikon Z up to par with the competition from my stand point.......

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
I wonder if they really can fit CFExpress + SD in the current form factor. I would more expect a higher throughput CFExpress (more I/O channels). Each channel is 1 gigabyte throughput. Current models have 2 channels. Imagine having 4 channels. Maybe you could capture 8K video at 24 FPS or 4K at 120 fps. Maybe that combined with dual EXPEED processors would give a higher frame rate for sports, and maybe even in-camera raw 10-bit 4.2.2 N-log video. THAT would be stellar for ramping up their video kit sales.

Hoping to resume retirement travel again in the future, having two memory card slots for file backups is very attractive to me. We try to travel very light, so not having to pack a backup device and its associated charger, cords, etc. would be a refreshing change from my past Z7 travels. For this one reason, a Z5 was interesting. A more detailed EVF in a Z7 update cannot be a bad thing either!

Bring it on!

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/09/21/updated-rumored-nikon-z6s-and-z7s-camera-specifications.aspx/

Time to start selling your old Z6/7 bodies and stock up on the latest tech :D
Thinking out loud here . . .

The question I'm pondering is whether the Z7s will be a match (or even a near match) for the AF of the D850/D500. I only occasionally do bird photography so while it is fun to do BIF and/or wildlife, it's not the center of my hobby. My D500 really makes it easy and less frustrating. A Z7s with similar AF capabilities would match the DX resolution/reach while simultaneously providing a higher resolution full frame option. Hmmm . . .

While I expect a Z7s with some kind of dual card arrangement to be slightly larger and heavier than the existing 7, it will still probably be less than the D500 (and certainly less than the D850).

And I'd get to use all that nice S glass on it . . .

Real Name
Don Roy
Personally, I'm not even slightly interested in buying these new swizzles. It's great that companies come out with new stuff, car makers do it every year, mobile phone companies are now doing it twice a year, TVs seem to have a never ending stream of new things. I do pay attention to what the world is offering, but it doesn't really tease my wallet at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a Z6, a 24-70 f/4 and a 50 f/1.8 just over a year ago, and kept my D850 and some F glass. The Z6 met most of my needs, including doing well for my style/ability on the few forays into bird/wildlife photography. Loved my D850 but the slightly different layout/menus axed my aging brain, and the weight/size were becoming more noticeable. So I sold the D850, along with the F 50 f/1.8; 24-12- f/4; and 16-35 f/4. I kept the 70-200 f/4 and 200-500. I picked up Z6 at the new low cost and can now crop my bird picture with ease, or shoot in DX mode. Will need one more lens, probably a discounted 14-30 f/4 when the new WA comes on line.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom