Standing at the checkout line at Walgreens

Ok, so there's a guy standing next to me on the checkout line at Walgreens. There I am, paying a ridiculous amount of money (8.00 :) )for processing and prints for my daughter.
He turns and says to me:
Why are you still shooting film? Wouldn't it be cheaper to use digital, and save your money?
A second later he purchases a $13.00 pack of cigarettes!

I told him would be cheaper to suck your thumb ! Hahahaha

Yeah, prices have gone up all over for film processing...sux. It still is only 84c for a color
roll of 120 when you send it through Walmart to a Fuji processing center. Beats me.

Hey people, you are lucky, here where i live we have only 1 lab for the whole country UAE, and they process B&W and C41 from 35 up to 220 for about $5.4, and the sheets 4x5 about $8, E6 for 35mm up to 4x5 is about $8, 8x10 is about double of those prices or up to $20

Yeah, prices have gone up all over for film processing...sux. It still is only 84c for a color
roll of 120 when you send it through Walmart to a Fuji processing center. Beats me.
WHY did you have to tell me this?

A neighbor is selling a like new complete Mamiya 645 with 3 lenses, VF, and a bunch of other goodies....the whole caboodle for like 200 bucks :)

Geez, for that price, I'd play with 120 film.

Ok, so there's a guy standing next to me on the checkout line at Walgreens. There I am, paying a ridiculous amount of money (8.00 :) )for processing and prints for my daughter.
He turns and says to me:
Why are you still shooting film? Wouldn't it be cheaper to use digital, and save your money?
A second later he purchases a $13.00 pack of cigarettes!

I told him would be cheaper to suck your thumb ! Hahahaha
That right there is funny.

WHY did you have to tell me this?

A neighbor is selling a like new complete Mamiya 645 with 3 lenses, VF, and a bunch of other goodies....the whole caboodle for like 200 bucks :)

Geez, for that price, I'd play with 120 film.
200 bucks? Geez, go for it!:cool: This is from a roll of Fuji Superia 100, expired,
bought for a buck, processing 84c, and scanned on my cheap Epson 4490:

pulp fiction, taken at 9:50 in the morning according to his watch:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4850575967_a581dfa79c_o.jpg

Koni Omega Rapid 100, Super Omegon 90 lens

200 bucks? Geez, go for it!:cool: This is from a roll of Fuji Superia 100, expired,
bought for a buck, processing 84c, and scanned on my cheap Epson 4490:

pulp fiction, taken at 9:50 in the morning according to his watch:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4850575967_a581dfa79c_o.jpg

Koni Omega Rapid 100, Super Omegon 90 lens
Bill,

That image has so much "depth", it almost looks like a post processed HDR image.
Beautiful.

Of course, I'd have to change my "gameplan" from the 35mm Plustek scanner, to a scanner able to do MF.

But isn't this why I started this mess? :)

I shot many weddings with a Koni Omega. I'm almost tempted to get another one :)

This is what he wants to give me:

I thought 3 lenses, it's only 2

Mamiya 645E camera body with strap
80mm f2.8NC lens with 58mm Hoya filter
150mm f3.5NC lens with 58mm Hoya filter
1x body cap
2x front lens caps
2x rear lens caps
Rapid Wind Grip
2x 120 film inserts
1x 220 film inserts
2x insert cases
Cable Release

Anthony, that gear is worth about $400. So, $200 is a screaming deal! Here's a Tri-X shot done with my Mamiya 645, 80mm lens at f5.6.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Anthony, that gear is worth about $400. So, $200 is a screaming deal! Here's a Tri-X shot done with my Mamiya 645, 80mm lens at f5.6.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4602117740_24dd6c2c95_o.jpg
Picture has such a nice look to it.

The 645 sounds so enticing. The only problem I would have, is doing the scans.... My scanner is 35mm only. I'm so happy with the scanner, I'd hate to give it up.

I need to give this more thought.

Mamiya 645E Kit

This is what he wants to give me:

I thought 3 lenses, it's only 2

Mamiya 645E camera body with strap
80mm f2.8NC lens with 58mm Hoya filter
150mm f3.5NC lens with 58mm Hoya filter
1x body cap
2x front lens caps
2x rear lens caps
Rapid Wind Grip
2x 120 film inserts
1x 220 film inserts
2x insert cases
Cable Release

This is what I just sold but including a 45mm f2.8 lens!! Nice combo for the money ! I purchased the 645E about 4 years ago new in the box from a dealer who had the last one available. I just got tired of waiting for up to three weeks for the film to be processed . I was sending by way of Walmart and the price was cheap (under a buck) for film processing only.

For the money go for it and enjoy.

This is what I just sold but including a 45mm f2.8 lens!! Nice combo for the money ! I purchased the 645E about 4 years ago new in the box from a dealer who had the last one available. I just got tired of waiting for up to three weeks for the film to be processed . I was sending by way of Walmart and the price was cheap (under a buck) for film processing only.

For the money go for it and enjoy.
Yeh... The three week wait would make me lose interest real fast.

Right now (putting my digital D7000 aside), I shoot a 35mm roll, get negatives in 1 hour for about $2.00, then I'm ready to scan at will.

It looks as if ill pass on the 645.

Yeh... The three week wait would make me lose interest real fast.

Right now (putting my digital D7000 aside), I shoot a 35mm roll, get negatives in 1 hour for about $2.00, then I'm ready to scan at will.

It looks as if ill pass on the 645.
$2 for negatives only at walgreens? Last time I went there, it was $5.45 for just negatives of a 24 exposure roll. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here....:mad:

Anthony,
Have you been happy with Walgreen processing of your negs and what film was it? When I was doing film I did almost all slides and stopped doing my own b&w at home decades ago. I have had bad luck with them doing the occasional color prints so am curious about their b&w neg work.

$2 for negatives only at walgreens? Last time I went there, it was $5.45 for just negatives of a 24 exposure roll. I feel like I'm getting ripped off here....:mad:
CVS does the negatives for 2.18.

If I want prints, my local walgreens does a great job on Fuji paper. It seems to be a good match for their walgreens film.... From what I understand is Fuji re-branded.

Anthony,
Have you been happy with Walgreen processing of your negs and what film was it? When I was doing film I did almost all slides and stopped doing my own b&w at home decades ago. I have had bad luck with them doing the occasional color prints so am curious about their b&w neg work.
So far, in my quest for processing, I've concluded that MY local CVS (yours could be different) does a nice job with the negatives, for only $2.18. Walgreens does an equally impressive job, but at more than twice the price.
As far as prints, MY local CVS sucks. Their scanner must be broken, but in three tries, I've gotten blurry, overly contrasty images, and in some prints, orange lines, etc...
If I need prints, Walgreens works for me.

If I want anything else, I have my trusty imac 27", Canon Pro9000 MKII, and Plustek scanner for enlargements. :)

Anthony,
Walgreens sells their Walgreens film very reasonable. I just bought the whole shelf :) of Walgreens ASA 200 film for $3.79 for a 4 pack. From what I understand, it's Fuji brand. I like the colors of this film, and it's cheap enough to enjoy film.

Top Bottom